cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Solution but only if you don't require any online/web services from your printer (cloud?): To begin, I used my IP address, changed a bit for this fix. Get it at computer control panel--view network status--connections (hyperlinked, gives wifi status when clicked)--details button--write down IPv4 address. Unplug printer while it's off. Unplug router. Plug printer back in and it will start. On mine & I think most, press "tools" button, gives you setup menu. Use arrows to move thru selections and OK to make selection. Arrow thru to web service setup, OK. Arrow to DNS server setup, OK. Arrow to manual setup, OK. I had all zeroes here, but used my IP address to fill in but changed last 3 to 006, but I think any number will work, OK. (My wireless requires key/password and I hope yours does too, but it's wrong anyway so...) Then select NO option. Printer will do its thing. When menu comes back, I think press the tools button again to exit. Then plug router back in. It will take awhile for it to reboot and your wireless service to return. When it does, you can wireless print/work again. On and off creates no issues. In effect, this disables your printer's capability of connecting to the web, but does NOTHING to your local wireless.

sonyce
Apprentice

I had this problem to. This problem can rectified by preventing your printer from having internet access. You can do this through your router if it has the option to manage devices within the router gui. Just block the printer from the internet. While this will prevent your printer from reaching the internet it will still allow LAN access so your home devices can still print to the printer.

sammcphee31
Apprentice

My MG7520 still isn't working... has Canon seriously not been able to find a solution in 4 days? It's extremely frustrating...

Canon is now offering a firmware update to fix this (see below) but if you want a fairly easy quick fix (and these will be my last posts on this, I have a headache!):

Solution but only if you don't require any online/web services from your printer (cloud?): To begin, I used my IP address, changed a bit for this fix. Get it at computer control panel--view network status--connections (hyperlinked, gives wifi status when clicked)--details button--write down IPv4 address. Unplug printer while it's off. Unplug router. Plug printer back in and it will start. On mine & I think most, press "tools" button, gives you setup menu. Use arrows to move thru selections and OK to make selection. Arrow thru to web service setup, OK. Arrow to DNS server setup, OK. Arrow to manual setup, OK. I had all zeroes here, used my IP address to fill in but changed last 3 to 006, but I think any number will work, OK. (My wireless requires key/password and I hope yours does too, but it's wrong anyway so...) Then select NO option. Printer will do its thing. When menu comes back, I think press the tools button again to exit. Then plug router back in. It will take awhile for it to reboot and your wireless service to return. When it does, you can wireless print/work again. On and off creates no issues. In effect, this disables your printer's capability of connecting to the web, but does NOTHING to your local wireless.

OR Canon's fix:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service%20notice...

sandipan11
Apprentice

I am also facing same, It is keep on turn on and off in initialization phase. Please give a solution as off. I am facing last 10 days and impacting work.

freelancegraph
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MX 492 and it keeps cycling over and over again, I tried reinstalling drivers, hooked up direct via USB, and NOTHING WORKS! As a graphic designer CAN'T GET MY WORK DONE AND AS A RESULT AM HAVING VERY UNHAPPY CLIENTS!

WHAT IS THE FIX!!!!

You can find the workaround (disables web access to the printer but not wifi) by just reading the through the posts at the beginning  of this thread.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Desktop-Inkjet-Printers/Pixma-MX490-Keeps-Cycling/m-p/373547/high...

Doesn't work

Make sure you disconnect the printer from the internet (either through router settings or just turn off the router) and turn the printer off (unplug the power cord), then plug it back in, adjust the DNS address in the Web Services menus and turn the router back on.

Announcements