cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020 Goes to Sleep and Goes Offline

Dok
Apprentice

Once the printer goes to sleep it goes OFFLINE and never comes back on (printer power is always on). Even when the printer is powered off and turned back on it still will not come online. I even turned off the computers and it still is offline. This happens with every computer on the network. Most frustrating. 

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What is the printer connected to?  And How?

Have you verified its IP address?  Does it keep changing?

What OS(s) are you using the device with?  PC, MAC, mixed?  What version(s) and build(s)?

Have you looked at the power management settings?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The printer is connected to a wireless network. Same network that my 7 year old HP printer was connected to and works fine. Running Windows 10.

You are assuming I know everything else you are asking. I am not computer engineer. If I knew how to connect to the printer w/o having to reinstall the software every time I may be able to answer some of your questions., but I can't. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your statement, "connect to the printer w/o having to reinstall the software every time" is helpful.  

So reinstalling the printer allows you to print again, before the device loses connectivity after going to sleep again?

Printer is never powered off.  This sounds like a network issue.  Have a look at this knowledgebase article:

Canon Knowledge Base - Resolve a Printer Is Offline Message - Pixma

The article includes steps that typically help to restore connectivity.  You may want to consider taking an additional step to avoid this behavior in the future.  Some network devices come and go.  Others like a printer are persistent.  Your router is responsible for managing devices connecting to your network.  It has a pool of IP addresses it manages.  It assigns an IP when a new device makes a connection request.  It reclaims an IP once a device "leaves" or is no longer communicating.  This is referred to as lease time.  It might be mistaking the printer's "absence" when it sleeps as being gone.  There's a little more to what's happening behind the scenes, but we won't go into it.

It might be helpful to reserve or assign a static (IP - which doesn't change) to the printer.  This is done on your router.  It basically tells your router to give your printer the same IP, all the time, regardless of its frequency of use, being turned off, or going to sleep.  This way your computer uses the same "path" to communicate.  You don't have to be an expert to configure this, and it only has to be done once.  The routers manual should include instructions for completing this task.  If you need help finding it, provide the make and model of the router and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

I am having this problem with my G7020. It happened today and when I arrived home, I powered it off and back on again.  It is now offline again.  I think I am having the IP address issue.  My router is Comcast Modem/Router. I do not have a clue as to the manufacturer.  Please help me.  I have some printing I have to do.  I am running windows 11.

Announcements