cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX492 is possessed!! Help!

Adventurejenny
Apprentice

Hi!

First time posting here. I have the Canon Pixma MX492. I replaced the black ink cartridge with a new one the other day and used it twice without any problems. Early this morning it started turning off and on by itself. I tried unplugging it and rebooting it and it won't stay on long enough to do anything. It doesn't even give an error message and none of the buttons work. It just keeps turning off and on, off and on. I need this for work! Help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi!  We've released a firmware update to take care of this issue. Learn more now by clicking HERE.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

jperez739

Thank you for this.  I just went out and bought a new printer and then found your info.  Did as you described and my printer is working fine now.  

nrhug19
Apprentice

Wow. The same thing started happening to me yesterday (5/31/22), and when I read all the dates that everyone posted, it looks like Canon needed some $$$ yesterday. I'm going to try the fix that someone else posted below. I need this printer to work for another month since June is graduation month here in NY, and I am printing a lot of scholarship odds and ends. It is truly acting possessed! 

So I disconnected my internet, turned off the internet on the Canon, ran a cable from my computer to the printer and it now works.. but that's not why I bought this printer - to have it hardwired. I liked the ability to print from any device. Won't be buying another Canon if they don't fix this. The Epson power tanks look better and better now. 

dlareg
Apprentice

I have the same problem since app 5:15 am. I will wait till app 4:00pm  if the bug is not cleared I am going out to purchasse an HP or EPSON or any other type of printer.

marm
Enthusiast

I was able to get through to someone at Canon and tell them about all of us having problems on the same day, same symptoms, multiple models --and getting no one at Canon to respond....................she checked with someone and came back and told me that they have learned of the problem and are working on fixing it.................NO idea how they are going to communicate to anyone......but I asked her to tell them to post something in the community here...............

i am new to community so am blocked from posting anything.....  apparently i am only allowed to 'reply' - so hopefully someone will see this and hopefully we will all see some help on it later today.........to make matters more annoying......i just learned that even though I had already registered my printer the same day I bought it, they have no record of that -so won't be very helpful at all- still arguing about getting some communication from them when they finally figure out how to fix this mess

jjbalinski
Apprentice

Mine started doing the same thing yesterday. Turned my Wifi off and the printer works fine. Turned the Wifi back on and the printer became possessed again. Apparently I can't have the wifi and printer on at the same time! And why did this just start happing yesterday along with everyone else? 

JonWalsh
Apprentice

Having this same problem.  It's really frustrating.

GOWOKEGOBROKE
Contributor

Canon Maxify MB2320

Printer started power cycling when Canon screwed everyone else this past weekend.  I took the DNS "Fix" and instead of doing all of the steps I only....

1. Unplugged the printer
  2. Unplugged the modem ethernet from the router (You could also turn off router)
  3. Plugged in the printer, it turned on by itself, cycled and finally brought me to the menu without shutting off
  4. Plugged the modem ethernet back into the router
  5. Test printed from the PC, worked
  6. Test print from mobile, worked
  7. So far, so good
click here to view the gallery
Announcements