cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MG8120 ScanGear Codes: 2 146 50

brownbear324
Contributor

I keep getting the ScanGear codes: 2 146 50 on my Pixma MG8120 MFP and not sure what's causing it. This happens each time I try to perform a scan. I've uninstalled all of the Canon drivers and software then reinstalled and still nothing. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 as well which is why I uninstalled all drivers. I downloaded the latest drivers from Canon but still nothing.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error???

Thanks,

Brandon

6 REPLIES 6

Ramona
Authority

Hi brownbear324,

If you have any antivirus or firewall programs installed on your computer, please temporarily disable them and then attempt to scan again.  If you still experience difficulty, we can see if there are some files in a folder called TWAIN_32 other than those related to the scanner that may be causing a conflict with the scanning process. If there are, temporarily moving these files may resolve the issue.

To move the non-Canon Twain files from the Twain_32 folder, please follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Start button, click on Run, then type in twain_32.

2. Inside of the TWAIN_32 folder, you should see a folder for your printer as well as a WIATWAIN.DS file. If there are other files in that folder, you will want to move them to another location (preferably your Desktop) by doing the following:

2-1. Click on each of the other items in the folder other than the WIATWAIN.DS file and folder related to your printer to select them. You will then want to hold the the CTRL key on your keyboard while selecting each of the items until all of the items except for the two referenced above are selected. Please be sure to leave the WIATWAIN.DS file and folder related to your printer inside of the TWAIN_32 folder.

2-2. With all of the items you want to move selected, please go to the EDIT menu and select the CUT option. You can also press the CTRL+X keys on your keyboard to perform the Cut function.

2-3. Go to your Desktop and right-click your mouse in any blank area, then choose the PASTE option. The items you selected from the TWAIN_32 folder should appear on the Desktop.

Once the items have been moved, please attempt to scan again.  If you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) for further assistance.  A Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

That didn't work. Can you tell me what the codes 2, 146, 50 mean and/or are indicating is a problem?? Thanks.

Hi brownbear324,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I will need to find some time after work to call the tech support line since I'm assuming they're going to want me to check things on my printer. Is there any way you can tell me what those error codes are referring to?? You have to have a list of explanations for the error codes in front of you somewhere. That would be most helpful. Thanks.

Hi brownbear324,

We do not have a list of explanations for the scanning errors that may occur when scanning.  In regards to the scanning issues that you are experiencing, it could be related to security settings on your computer, confilct with another TWAIN device on your computer or the driver not being installed correctly.  Because of this, it is recommended that you call in to Canon's Contact Center for assistance.  There is NO charge for this call.  Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Finally called the 800# and determined the error code: 2, 146, 50 has to do with connectivity. After some brainstorming, I decided to try switching out the USB port my printer is connected to. Once I did that, the error was gone.
Announcements