cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

No sure but you could ask. Call the Angeion Group in Philly directly. (215) 563-4116.

Good luck.

GuyNamedJoe
Enthusiast

Has ANYONE heard about when Canon will begin making payments to those who applied via the serttlement?

I just got my check dated 6/15/16.

I feel like $50 is too low to accept. I've read in this thread people have purchased new printer heads, a $50 part, but that hasn't fixed the issue. Maybe someone else can add that it did?

Canon should either offer replacement units with similar specs and functions, or send refunds for what they are currently selling similar units at.

To buy another Canon printer and have this same problem down the road is ridiculous. Where am I going to buy another printer for $50?

I totally agree with you. Canon has been horrible, non-responsive and completely criminal in their actions or lack therof. In fact I actually believe they purposely sabotaged the software to force people to buy new printers. In my case it back-fired as I bought an HP and will never buy another Canon product again. $50 does not even come close to covering all the time and money wasted on this issue. Thanks to the fellow in Texas who decided to take up this fight because Canon could not care less about their customers. $50 is an insult and proof of the weak legal counsel who represented us against Canon. I accept it because I gave up trying to get any sort of satisfaction from Canon and it is a small victory after a number of defeats. It symbolizes that we were all correct and legally harmed after all. Goodbye Canon, good riddance. 

redslider
Apprentice

Folks, there's really no point in endlessly putting another 'me too' message on this thread.  The problem is in Cannon's design, there is no fix (other than Cannon sending all of us a new, redesigned circuitboard for free), and the fact that they have refused to accept full responsibility and provide complete restitution for each and everyone of us, regardless of how long we had the machine before the problem first appeared. The problem and how Canon has handled it clearly brands them as a socially irresponsible company.

The only think I can advise is: 1) junk your Canon (if it is out of warantee) and get another brand of printer, 2) share your experience on your social media as widely as you can.  Unfortunately that doesn't solve our problem, but it is the only remedy we really have. Sorry to have to say this, but that's how it looks to me.

And you're the end all be all voice for what particular reason?

There is no point in putting another "me too" message on the thread, yet that's exactly what you did?

Yes, please endow us with your wisdom and authority.

I have the MX712 printer that I purchased from Costco about 4 years ago.  I also received the message and am upset that it basically holds my printer hostage from being able to do anything, even scan.  Luckily, I called up Costco and since it was only a few years ago, and they have records of it, they are allowing me to return the entire thing!  I recently refilled all my ink cartridges, so they are allowing me to return the refills as well!  I love Costco!

"Folks, there's really no point in endlessly putting another 'me too' message on this thread. "

Ummmm Yes there is!  It continues to show those that have Google'd the problem, and have ended up here.  It continues to show that more and more people are having this problem, and Canon is doing nothing about it.  I wish EVERYONE that has had this problem occur would post a "me too" and maybe someone would take notice to thousands of people posting.....

OldSkoolTek
Apprentice

PIXMA MP600

Had this error today. Looked up fix... didn't work

My fix

1    Removed Printhead

2    Rinsed in warm water (inkside out to nozzles)

3    Cleaned where Printhead seats in Printer with alcohol swab GENTLY

4    Installed

No Error !

Announcements