cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

same here

Thought it was fixed but error came back today while printing shipping label.

Also noticed online class action law suit eligibility ended on Dec 7th 2015. My error didn't popup till Jan 5th, how convenient...

http://www.canoninkjetprintersettlement.com/

Canon is making a terrible mistake, they ultimately will reap what they sow, have patience, you will be given compensation many times more than what has been taken from you.

God bless

Jim

@Joel_P wrote:

Thought it was fixed but error came back today while printing shipping label.

Also noticed online class action law suit eligibility ended on Dec 7th 2015. My error didn't popup till Jan 5th, how convenient...

http://www.canoninkjetprintersettlement.com/

n5mj
Apprentice

MG5220 I've had for a few years, went through it's original tanks recently, suddenly comes up with this U052 error. The printer/scanner worked great. Even duplexed.

Too bad Canon seems to have put crippleware in the printer.

I replaced the empty tanks with oens from Sophia Global. They worked fine for a month.  All tank lights lit up, no flashers, photo quality print all the way. 

Then U052 and the entire printer is useless. Multiple repeat print head reseating, tanks reseating, power cycling, unplugs, all the "solutions" resulted in.... U052.

Very surprised, and disappointed in this boneheaded crippleware nonsense.

Hope this can be resolved. If the printer needs replaced, it will *not* be with a Canon printer.

If you get a PM offering a replacement, and still have your old U052-afflicted printer, take Canon up on it. They offered a replacement if I would simply send the bad one back to them, using their paid mailing label and boxes, once the replacement arrived. It took two weeks, but new ink tanks and print head arrived from the west coast, then a box with the printer came a few days later from the east coast.. This series of events leads me to believe that the many posts on this forum attracted the attention of Canon engineering/QA, and that Canon will perform post-failure necropsy on the returned printers to see what went wrong, and maybe offer a firmware/hardware fix proactively as a result. Bottom line is Canon did right by me. Thanks to Macnicol for starting the thread, and to all who subsequently posted.

JLH
Contributor

Hi, All,  I received my replacement printer a few days ago from Canon, model MG6420.  I don't know anything about this printer but it seems to print fairly decent copies.  I can tell you it is noiser than the MG5320 which died a sudden death after the dreaded U052 code!  Thanks to Macnicol and all who brought their issues to the forum.  Fingers crossed that this printer doesn't have the "after warranty" curse imbedded in the firmware/hardware.

I honestly think they want to hide the evidence.  People start talking class action suit which means bad publicity and so they suddenly say we will send you a new printer and you send us back the old one.  They won't look at your printer.  They have all the coding and hardware at the factory already.  They don't need our printers to see what went wrong.  They just want us to send the printers back so that if a class action suit is ever done, guess what, those who took advantage of the printer replacement can't be a part of it because you already settled unless your new printer failed too.  I am new so I have not read all the posts so this may have already have been brought out, but that is how big business works.  Keep the consurmer quiet and happy so they don't get bad publicity and can avoid a lawsuit.

Add my MG5320 to the 127 pages of dead Canon printers due to error U052. I am really angry about this. No reason to find out that this has been an issue for years! 

I'm sure you're correct.

I have had this problem before on my very old MX860. The fix was to buy and install a new printhead. Don't recall the vendor.

Make the MX860 GREAT again!

Announcements