cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

I've just been shopping for a new printer. As if the problem were not enough in itself there are now no Canon printers sold that use the same ink cartridges (CLI-525/6) so as my existing stock is useless to me I may as well go with a different manafacturer. Ah well, it makes the choice easier.

I gave all my (many) surplus cartridges to my daughter, who unfortunately for her has the same Canon printer as I had.

Luckily for her, she has so far not got the U052 error message.

As for me, I'm very happy with my new (now newish)  Epson printer and have no intention of buying any Canon product ever again.

However I shan't be buying cartridges in bulk again, just in case ......

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Keep them off the wifi and they will not get the U052 problem. My neighbors MP610 is still running but has never been in wifi or firmware updated.

This is happening with printers that don't even have Wi-Fi, so networking has nothing to do with it.

Correct!

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

alexpinca
Contributor

Hey, I don't know what everyone is complaining about... I contacted Canon and they offered to sell me a discounted printer that was more expensive than I could buy it at Amazon.  The printer was an MG5220 which could use some inexpensive ink and they offered a printer at full price which required the expensive Canon ink... now aren't they generous.  Let me know if anyone raises the class action issue... I'm interested.  I just bought a Brother printer and I'm taking the Canon to the dump. 

@macnicol wrote:

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

My printer is MG5220

I also am MG5220

thebets
Apprentice

I googled the class action law suit. The ones I saw were almost a year ago. Do you know if it's been resolved yet? I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of (free) fix for the one I have... that would be the best solution.

What really surprises me is that these posts started two years ago! I'm sad... I used to like Cannon. As a matter of fact I brought this 610 to my workplace (I'm a teacher) and bought myself a new Cannon to use at home. Now I'm afraid my new printer will go belly-up the same way this 610 seems to have. I wish I would have known about this issue before I bought my new printer. I also bought a nice Cannon for the computer lab at the school. I have a feeling this printer will have the same fate as so many other Cannons. I'm angry nothing has been done to fix this issue. What's up Cannon. You used to be a good brand, now I'm not so sure. The only thing I am sure of is that I will probably look into a different brand of printer next time I buy one (which will probably be soon since this darned 610 isn't working).

The judge gave preliminary approval of the settlement on June 25, 2015.  Google Canon Inkjet Printer litigation.  To become a class member you need to provide them contact info. 

Announcements