cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Mac OS 14 Sonoma - now can't connect EOS Utility to EOS Rebel T7

CoinGuy
Contributor

I use my Eos Rebel T7 on a custom camera stand to take photos of coins as part of my business. I connect via USB cable to my MacBook Pro and use Remote Shooting in EOS Utility 3.0 to focus, zoom and take photos. Then I stupidly upgraded from OS Ventura to OS 14 Sonoma, and now EOS Utility 3.0 doesn't work. I've checked the cable - it's working, as I see the camera in my Image Capture app. The EOS Utility just doesn't respond - sometimes I get nothing, and sometimes I get to the right screen where I would select Remote Shooting, but it's greyed out and I just have the spinning pinwheel. I have to force quit the app because it's not responding. So, clearly I upgraded to an OS that is too new and isn't compatible with EOS Utility. Is there any way to make my system work so I can still use live shooting? Will Canon be releasing an updated EOS Utility anytime soon? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is a paid app called Kuuvik Capture from the App Store.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

@rs-eos wrote:

Major macOS updates are yearly (typically in October).

Whenever they break the existing codebase, that’s major in my book.  Windows called them Service Packs.  Apple does not have to update and rename their OS every year, which is ridiculous to me.

Like I said, Apple breaks third party apps at 3-4 times per year.  I quit using my Mac.  It is an Intel machine I purchased a few months before the M1 platforms were introduced.  It is just over three years old and it is obsolete.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mendi
Apprentice

Hi CoinGuy

I had the very same issue using my R5 with new bought Apple MacBook Pro 2023 M2 and MacOS 14 (Sonoma) I just installed rosetta via terminal command restart my MacBook and EOS Utilty 3 on Sonoma is working again. The terminal command for installing rosetta is: softwareupdate --install-rosetta

it asks you to accept an agreement, type "a" and enter and then restart your Mac.

Hope it works, it worked for me.

Greetings from Switzerland

Its works me perfect. Thanks for publishing.

EOS Digital Rebel / EF 28-135mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS USM / EFS 15-55mm f3.5 - 5.6
EOS R6 / EOS R50 / RF 7 Art. 35mm f1.4 / RF 50mm f1.8 STM / RF 15-35mm f2.8 L / RF 24-70mm f2.8 L / RF 70-200mm f2.8 L

Yanko
Apprentice

I think I found a solution, it appears that MacOS Sonoma on Apple Silicon checks all USB accessories when they are connected (for security reasons I guess) and this check is apparently happening when connecting the camera with USB cable as well. That seems to be preventing EOS Utility working correctly. In my tests, if I set "Allow accessories to connect" to "Ask Every Time" in the Privacy & Security pane in System Settings, the computer will ask if you want to allow an accessory every time when you connect it, but after allowing the camera, EOS Utility works, at least for me. 

navy4beto
Apprentice

Hi there,

I am deaf and I am not happy when macOS Sonoma update from 14.1 to 14.1.1 with my Mac Mini 2018.. My camera DSLR Canon 80D and the EOS Webcam Utility Pro Software can't connect to OBS source.

My other MacBook Pro is macOS Ventura worked with EOS Webcam Utility Pro Software with my camera DSLR Canon 80D.

Campbellandia
Apprentice

I found something that may be helpful. I followed the instructions and was able to get the EOS Webcam utility to work in Sonoma.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/10/25/what-to-do-if-your-webcam-doesnt-work-in-macos-sonoma

PaulPr
Apprentice

Until Canon upgrades the software for remote shooting, I found this works for me with EOS 90d to OS 14:

Make sure you have the latest EOS driver uploaded.

In preferences, go to start up items and "+" the remote capture app.

Restart the computer. DO NOT open any other apps yet.

Make sure your camera is tethered with a high quality usb cord, and connected to the Mac.

Turn on the camera.

Canon window should open up, and then the remote shooting window.

If the connection is broken, restart computer.

Talked to Canon rep; no date for the real upgrade yet.

TMD
Apprentice

Part of the problem is a change to the OS. You need to set 

system-override legacy-camera-plugins-without-sw-camera-indication=on

However, there is more to it than that and I haven't found a way to make the Webcam Utility work reliably. Without the setting above, the Webcam Utility never worked. With the fix, it works maybe 5% of the time. 

Through some combination of unplugging, restarting, and turning off/on I have seen the Webcam Utility work, but it fails much more than it succeeds.  

Repro info:

• 7D Mark ii
  • M1 Pro 32gb
  • Sonoma 14.1.1

I followed some articles to implement this solution and it seems to have worked perfectly for me. I'm not sure why the other solution is the one chosen but this is much better. I did have to turn off FileVault to be able to run the command. However, once I ran the command and restarted my Rebel T7 was visible in Chrome and in BigBlueButton. I haven't tried Zoom or daily.co but everything else worked as well.

naasirbush
Contributor

Hello,
I have the same issues. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7. I'm on a 2019 Macbook Pro 16-inch running Sonoma 14.1.1. I use Canon as a webcam with EOS Webcam Utility via Zoom, BigBlueButton, and daily.co for education. Previous to OS 14.1.1 ( so 14.1.x) everything was working just fine and I'd been using the camera as a webcam for a few years. 

After the update, If I use the EOS Webcam Utility Pro version I can see the camera working perfectly via the scene preview. However, when I try to run the camera via any one of the apps i mentioned the camera doesn't even list in the options. I'll see either the default built-in Mac camera or a backup C920 Logi camera. 

One other important point is I have a secondary intel Mac for my work as a dev it is on OS 14.0 and the camera still works. 

naasirbush_0-1701215561820.png

When I inspect the version or info of my EOSWU I have the following:

naasirbush_1-1701215687578.png

Note the above screenshots are from my work machine however my personal machine which is not eve seeing the camera has the same EOSWU version of 2.0.30. 
I tried running the camera via:
Zoom
BigBlueButton
daily.co
Quicktime
Facetime
Same results

click here to view the gallery
Announcements