cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 New Firmware Release - v1.7.0 - Feedback Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

FW v1.7.0 for the R5 has dropped.  I started this thread for people to leave their experiences and feedback.

Firmware Version 1.7.0 incorporates the following fixes:
1. Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, may result in the camera not operating normally when capturing small subjects.
2. Fixes minor issues.

Canon Support for EOS R5 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

17 REPLIES 17

edlr73
Apprentice

I was planning on installing the update. I just got a MAC that has Ventura OS installed. It's not one of the OS options. Anyone know what's the best one to use instead?

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

This is odd. When the thread was created, I went to support for the R5 and R6 and f/w 1.7.0 was not available. Checked last night, 12/9/22, and it was there so I grabbed it. It was also available for the R6 (not mark II), so I grabbed that as well. So far so good as I usually wait a day or two anyway. There are some new menu items added, one of which is in the screen configuration, "Blank screen" is a new option for the info toggling button. I haven't had a chance to walk through ALL of the menus, but I did find that. Performance seems to be the same as before.

Now, today I go to my support site to see if a new manual was released. Not only was there no new manual, the 1.7.0 f/w was not there either. just 1.6.0... Go figure.

**EDIT** Now it's there again (12/10/22) along with a revised manual 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@edlr73 wrote:

I was planning on installing the update. I just got a MAC that has Ventura OS installed. It's not one of the OS options. Anyone know what's the best one to use instead?

Greetings,

Ventura is listed:

shadowsports_0-1670767986491.png

The firmware is not OS specific...  just Windows or Mac

Your download is here:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDQwMDAwODEyNTAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Run the .dmg and grab the .fir file.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I m referring to the OS dropdown side, which shows this. Ventura is not listed, but I am not sure if the OS13 is the right one since the others are detailed.

image.png

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Its the right one.  As time passes and new releases drop, the list will change.  OSX 13 is Ventura.

Please note this is FW for your camera, not software that installs on your MAC.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Blueberry_Lover
Enthusiast

I installed 1.7.0 earlier today on my EOS R5. The installation went smoothly (I used a card reader to transfer the firmware to an SD card) and, so far, I haven't noticed any issues.

- Pie Lover

deadesq
Contributor

Problems installing this 1.7 on both my R5 and my R6, each with their respective versions of 1.7.0.  I transfer the firmware to the root directory of the card, put it in P mode, select the screen that tells me to update, and the camera appears to shut off.  Both with the R5 and R6, and with different batteries, and different cards.  When I tried it through EOS Utility, it crashed the app on my Mac.  I have to remove the battery to get the camera to turn back on. Not a particularly happy camper this morning....

Okay, I am the idiot here.  On all three methods, I had been looking through the camera's viewfinder to go through the menu prompts.  When I got to the prompt that told me to upgrade the firmware, I selected that, and that is when the camera appeared to go dead--nothing in the viewfinder at all, and none of the buttons were responsive.  What it apparently did instead is swap out the next prompt to the touchscreen, which I almost never use, and I have turned in towards the camera at all times.  Once I opened that, it showed me the option to upgrade the firmware, and I was able to complete it.  Hopefully, my stupidity will save someone an hour or two of frustration.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

We've all been there.  The newer MILC body's have slightly different steps to upgrade, where you are required to select the upgrade option and then press Set to proceed.  Also important not touch any buttons or try to operate the camera until the update completes.  Glad you got it figured out. 👍 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements