cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

gvl
Contributor

All:

1. Cannon updated the US web page and now for macOS 13 the files occur. I guess this means its officially supported for Ventura

2. A new firmware 1.2.0 is available

I downloaded things and it behaves like before for WiFi on M1. Android, iPhone, and Mac can connect.

However, Canon EOS Utility shows that the remote control via desktop is greyed out. I looked in settings and all apps are enabled .... So still no fix?

Check your camera. Is it set for USB or Wi-Fi? It does not switch on its own.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is set for Wifi. I also checked that it is set on the proper application mode for ESO Utility and not tablet app.

I verified

a) works on USB cable with EOS util on laptop

b) works on wifi with fire tablet (converted to android)

c) works on wifi with iPhone

So the only thing I am not able to achieve is wifi directly to the Laptop on M1

I tried cleaning NVRAM, uninstalling software from canon and reinstalling, resetting the camera

I have seen in past post that previously in other version people reported the non available links in the EOS utility e.g. greyed out that can not be clicked. I have looked in the security settings which are a bit different then in the previous OS versions on the MAC and verified that all Canon utilities are allowed the access the system. Does the EOS utility on a Laptop only work with the USB cable?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Apple has introduced a new OS, from the ground up, in each of the past four years. During those years Apple released multiple major updates to their OS, which caused many apps to fail. When it comes to software development, breaking your existing codebase is a cardinal sin.

2A5E93CD-8180-44F2-981A-501C5CC73BA3.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

vtwinc123
Apprentice

I can connect USB only

vraptor567
Contributor

its been a while since Ventura came out and the problem still exists, Canon can you please fix this?

R5, 6Dmkii, 5dmarkiv, and others

I have no trouble with connecting my 1D X Mark III and MacBook Air. Ventura 13.0.1 and EOSU3 13.16.1.

EOS Utility 3 2022-12-10 11-59-41.jpg

Check for local issues with your hardware or settings. Be sure you have authorized all the required permissions for Ventura.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

We have. 

It should not require someone with a PhD in computer science and experience with Macs for more than 20 years to even run into this. Something is severely missing in the implementation of this. The system should make sure all privileges are set accordingly (and ask for it if it needs adjustments). I can only assume it is a bug in Canons software (strategy) .... 😞 Several people confirmed it works with USB including myself, but not with WiFi 😞

It is good to know it works for you so there is something in the software that is overlooked by Cannon

Interesting I seem to have a more current version of EOSU and my R5 cannot connect to my M2 laptop, connects fine on my older intel Catalina based mac so I know its not hardwareScreenshot 2022-12-10 at 2.49.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 2.49.18 PM.png

R5, 6Dmkii, 5dmarkiv, and others

Hi, this is the version that solved my issue on an intel based iMac, with an R7. Why its a seemingly "older" version I not sure, and why on the Japan site, but it did fix mine.

https://canon.jp/support/software/os/select/dc/EU-Installset-M31613dmg

Announcements