cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

gvl
Contributor

I tried that too, but with no success 😞 However I can no longer test the activation of CCAPI from Japan, as my camera is already activated and I am quite happy with that as I can now program the camera in python ... There is already an API developed by someone else for it, but I like to make mine much simpler. This has the advantage that I can see the camera on any device as I go not via an AP but through the regular internal WiFi of my location. My goal is to gradually extend the interface to what I need ... mostly focus stacking ... 

such as 

camera = CCAPI(IPADDRESS)

camera.owner = "Geek Hacker"

print(camera.owner)

and so on ....

works already, I can also see all images on my 2 SD cards..

I work next on focus stacking. 

mharrison
Contributor

According to https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/8022 the Mac version has fundamental problems that will require a refactor/rewrite. I hope they do it sooner than later. The software is unstable and maxes out a CPU while still stuttering and crashing.

gvl
Contributor

It is really useful to know that others have looked into this issue and confirmed the problems. In the meanwhile, I spend some time writing a prototype program that can interface with the camera via the CCAPI (I use an R7). This works surprisingly well and bypasses all the issues I have on my Mac by just using REST service calls. As I assume this could be useful for others, I put a library and program together that I will improve in my free time. My goal was not to replicate what Canon has done in the EOS Utility or WebCam (I am not getting paid by them 😉 ) but to develop a program that is just good enough for me. I have tested it on automated focus bracketing for macro photography from within the R7. I have to evaluate it a bit more, but it seems to work somewhat based on the limited time I spend on this. I will put some screenshots and documentation together once I have some time. I do the development on github laszewsk canon-r7-ccapi

look on github for

laszewsk/canon-r7-ccapi/blob/main/README.md

This is open source If someone wants to help, let me know.

BelindaP
Apprentice

It's April 2023...this issue doesn't seem to be resolved and I need to sort it out fast. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

Baldermort
Apprentice

I have had a MacBook Pro 15” with Intel. I now have a MacBook Pro M2. Both with the current Ventura operating system. Since the upgrade of the operating system, Canon Utility 3 for my 1DX2, R5 and R7 is no longer working as I would have expected for the past 5+ years. Fairly certain that I am not the only person in the world using this combination of camera and laptop. Initial posting to this thread was 27-October-2022. That was 195 days ago! 
I would not expect Canon to fix this issue on the day of the release of the new operating system, but this is now unacceptable. 

Update posted to Canon support site for compatibility with Apple Silicon. .12 version. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

A link perhaps?

jparhamtv
Contributor

So for my 5d MarkIV running Ventura 13.4.1 adding EOS Utility to open on login connecting the camera and turning it on you have to then log out of your Mac and log back in it should work fine then. 

Schibelphoto
Apprentice

I tried jparhamtv's solution, but it was not successful with an R7, mac mini Ventura 13.5.1 

This absolutely amazes me, almost a year and still, no fix.  I bought the R7 last November for tethered macro work that I have been using my 7d mkii and 5d mkii for. My R7 is not much more than a very expensive dust collector, while I wait for Canon to fix this. Such a shame, sitting on the shelf where it has since 3 days after I bought it. I'll just continue to use the gear I have used for a decade or more now. Guess that teaches me to try to upgrade to mirrorless, a total waste of $1500.

Hi Schibelphoto,

I'm sorry to hear you are having continued issues using the EOS Webcam Utility and your EOS R7. The current version EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0.30 available HERE is compatible with MacOS Ventura, so it should run on your operating system. When you try to use it are you getting any error messages? If so what does the error say word for word?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements