cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility v3.17 Won't Work With EOS R3 & EOS R5

Canonoli
Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me why Canon utility will not work after spending over twelve thousand dollars on a Eos R3 and a Eos R5, you can even make software that works to download your images. I do have a few card readers, but that's not the point. I should be able to plug in either camera and use the software to download images or use the other features of the utility, but no matter what version I have uninstalled and reinstalled will work in Windows 11. And it seems like Windows 11 might be a big deal, even though it's been out a very long time. Such a disappointment, as no one seems to be able to get this software to work properly.

18 REPLIES 18

@alexis194 wrote:

i have the same issued, its connect to the pc but no eos utility, i tried many things

Please read through the previous responses.  If those suggestions do not correct your issue, then please start a new thread of your own.  Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canonoli
Enthusiast

Funny Canon reps don't chime in often, and let common folks try and figure out what Canon should know.
Not sure what the point is in having a forum like this, when Canon tech's don't participate?

@Canonoli wrote:

Funny Canon reps don't chime in often, and let common folks try and figure out what Canon should know.
Not sure what the point is in having a forum like this, when Canon tech's don't participate?

That is the point of the forum.  Canon techs do not participate.  This forum is not official Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If you'd like one-on-one help, we recommend reaching out to support. They're at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET) and Saturday from 9am to 8pm (ET). 

Check out the Community Guidelines for the overall scope of the Canon Community and the participation of Canon Technical Support Staff.

I hope this helps!

I have almost given up on Canon after 40+ years.
I can't even drop off my EF600mm II for repairs any longer.
You want it shipped to you when I live 20 minutes from the Mississauga H.O.
So, I would need to send in a 16 thousand dollar lens and insure it I would imagine, just to have it repaired. I could also take it to a authorized repair shop which only one exists in the city. That's sad as Covid ended a while back. I don't want to stay in your offices, I just want to drop off my 600mm for repair.

My Pro 300 printer had issues as well, due to Windows 11 which was out before Canon released the printer.

I have built many computers, so I don't see why phoning in would help resolve software that does not work. I don't have any antivirus software that is interfering either. I have uninstalled and reinstalled more than once, and will most like use one of two card readers that "do" work to down load files. Maybe like I have said, you can talk to your engineers to fix the software. The "Legend" could not figure it out, other than suggesting a work around. Sorry if I sound disgruntled, but that's because I am.... lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried launching EOS Utility directly from file explorer? Sometimes this works.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 103819.jpg

I have not tried this solution, which is a work around. I will try it and let you know.
This would tell me that the software is broken, when you need a work around. but I will give it a go to see if it works. I am trying to save time, and the reason I don't eject the card and use a reader. The program should open correctly (which it does not) so a patch to the software should issued by Canon when so many have this issue.

So I have tried your solution and it does not work.
When I plugin in either camera I get this screen pop up
R3 and R5 Pairing Screen.jpg

And when I open file manager, Program Files (x86) and launch Eos Utility 3.exe, I get the same screen pop up to pair the camera. NOT the main menu as shown in this screen shot. As I stated, the software is crap as its only a small utility not a full blown program. Two cameras, and neither work correctly. A total of 8k (r3) and 5k (r5) and useless software imo.
R3 and R5 Launched from Program files (x86).jpg

Thanks for trying Wiz, but your solution did not work for me.
Maybe sometime in the future, a Canon engineer might figure it out and put out an update that works with what will be my old cameras by the time they do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The screenshot you provided is showing that you are launching the wrong program. You want to start EOS Utility 3.exe. You are showing EOS Utility.exe (the Wi-Fi pairing program). Starting that program is why you see the pairing screen. Please start EOS Utility 3.exe that is located in the EU3 folder and see what happens. Review the paths to the correct file as shown in my screenshot in my previous post.

Are you using the Canon supplied USB cable? Sometimes using their cable works, where a third-party cable doesn't work.

Announcements