cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 (3.13.10() not recognizing R5 (1.1.1) on Mac Catalina (10.15.7) via USB

amballin
Apprentice

EOS Utility 3.13.10  on Mac Catalina 10.15.7  does not recognize R5 with firmware 1.1.1 via USB

Image capture sees the photos in the camera

Lightroom can see the photos in camera, tether mode does not work

WIFI connection seems to work

When using USB to connect  i have the camera in airplane mode,  power saving is off

I have also tried after resetting the communications settings and that did not help.

Also reinstalled the software and that did not work

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks to all that have responded to this topic,  your suggestions have led to me to the solution!  

Here is what I have discovered:

1. WiFi must be disabled, that can be done by disabling or setting airplane mode on
  2. The EOS Utility that appears in the menu bar at the top of the Mac display has an option that should be set to
    • “Start EOS Utility automatically when the camera is connected” to make life easier.
    • Even when set to not start automatically you can start EOS Utility 3 manually and all works 
    • If you do not see the menu bar item you can find EOS Utility in Applications > Canon Utilities > EOS Utility

When setting this to “Start Automatically.. “ I paid closer attention to what started when I plugged in the camera into the USB port followed by turning on the camera. This is when I realized that another program prompted me to import photos, which I believe prevents the EOS Utility from seeing the camera.  Once I quit the offending program and tried to connect then everything worked properly for both settings of the EOS Utility in the menu bar!

The offending program was a NAS utility that keeps shared folder in sync;  when something is connected to the USB port it automatically prompts you to import photos.  Responding no does not seem to free up the camera for the EOS Utility, however, ImageCapture is able to view the camera photos.

Bottom line: turn off Wifi on the camera,  then watch for a program to automatically start when you turn on the USB connected camera.  If the started program is not the EOS Utility then stop that programming from running and try to connect again!

Edit:  I was able to connect to the camera via USB even with WiFi enabled and airplane mode off. This works for Catalina and Mojave 10.14.6 (Mojave works with NAS utility running, Catalina does not)

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Does disabling WiFi put the camera in usb mode?

@amballin wrote:

Does disabling WiFi put the camera in usb mode?

Yes, it should.  You must disable it, not merely put the camera into airplane mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks to all that have responded to this topic,  your suggestions have led to me to the solution!  

Here is what I have discovered:

1. WiFi must be disabled, that can be done by disabling or setting airplane mode on
  2. The EOS Utility that appears in the menu bar at the top of the Mac display has an option that should be set to
    • “Start EOS Utility automatically when the camera is connected” to make life easier.
    • Even when set to not start automatically you can start EOS Utility 3 manually and all works 
    • If you do not see the menu bar item you can find EOS Utility in Applications > Canon Utilities > EOS Utility

When setting this to “Start Automatically.. “ I paid closer attention to what started when I plugged in the camera into the USB port followed by turning on the camera. This is when I realized that another program prompted me to import photos, which I believe prevents the EOS Utility from seeing the camera.  Once I quit the offending program and tried to connect then everything worked properly for both settings of the EOS Utility in the menu bar!

The offending program was a NAS utility that keeps shared folder in sync;  when something is connected to the USB port it automatically prompts you to import photos.  Responding no does not seem to free up the camera for the EOS Utility, however, ImageCapture is able to view the camera photos.

Bottom line: turn off Wifi on the camera,  then watch for a program to automatically start when you turn on the USB connected camera.  If the started program is not the EOS Utility then stop that programming from running and try to connect again!

Edit:  I was able to connect to the camera via USB even with WiFi enabled and airplane mode off. This works for Catalina and Mojave 10.14.6 (Mojave works with NAS utility running, Catalina does not)

reznet
Apprentice

I was encountering this problem on my R6 in macOS Catalina (10.15.7) and found a different cause and workaround.  Thank you to everyone who posted their ideas and their solutions.  Here's mine in the hopes that it helps someone else.

In my case, the culprit is Google's Backup and Sync application.  What I found is that if it is running, and I plug my R6 (firmware 1.1.1) into my mac, then I see the issue where EOS Utility 3.13.10.2 launches, but all options are disabled on the main screen.  The workaround is to first quit Backup and Sync before plugging in the camera.  After the sync application has exited, and its icon has disappeared from the menu bar, then plugging in the R6 brought up EOS Utility and all options were available, and if EOS Utility was already open, the options became enabled.

Backup and Sync from Google has the capability to monitor inserted memory cards or cameras and automatically back them up, and I suspect that, similar to @amballin's issue, the application was interfering with EOS Utility's ability to communicate with the camera.  I had already gone into the application's preferences and disabled the "Plug in a camera or phone to backup files" option, but it had no effect on the EOS Utility problem.

Interestingly, once I have EOS Utility working, I can start Backup and Sync and everything works fine.  However, if I unplug and reinsert the R6 while Backup and Sync is running, I again cannot use EOS Utility.

Annoying, but I'm very glad to have a workaround which so far is working great.

Thanks again to everyone for the posts and ideas.

Thanks, it was Google Backup and Sync for me too.  I have the setting to ignore cameras and cards turned on, but apparently it is still checking, but no dialog popup.  I'll have to remember to stop it and restart when I want to use the EOS utility, tether in Lightroom or use the new EOS webcam software.

Update, alternate method.  The other option I found was to go into System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy tab and scroll down to Files and Folders.  For Dropbox and Google Backup and Sync, disable Removable Drives.  I found that this works, but instead of the camera immediately engaging and showing video, it takes 5-10 seconds sometimes.  So be a little patient with this method.  The updside is that you can leave Google Backup and Sync running.

So greateful for those of you shraing your findings 🙏🏻

I have an R6 that I can't conneth to EOS Utility 3 on my Mac.

The instructions I get when I google for a solutuion i am direction to a guide to connect via Wi-fi  (one of the first ones to come up is Canons official mnual guiding me to shoot via wi-fi. But I want to shoot tethered via EOS Utility 3 and then import images to Lightroom (like I used to do with my 6D). I guess that is what all of you here are trying to as well?

@reznet you mention the Google's Backup and Sync application. I am not sure I understand it correctly. I went to download the Google's Backup and Sync application (beacse some of you mention it  here). But in your post here I can see you  write: 

"The workaround is to first quit Backup and Sync before plugging in the camera.  After the sync application has exited, and its icon has disappeared from the menu bar, then plugging in the R6 brought up EOS Utility and all options were available, and if EOS Utility was already open, the options became enabled."

This makes me doubt if I need to install Google Backup and Sync before or not?

And if I do, I am not sure I have done it rigth. Because yo write: "...first quit Backup and Sync before plugging in the camera". But it is not open anywhere om my computer? No icon or anything...🤔

Would you be kind enough to offfer a more in-depth instruction to how I can solve this problem? I would be for ever grateful 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Best from Susanne

jparhamtv
Contributor

So for my 5d MarkIV running Ventura 13.4.1 adding EOS Utility to open on login connecting the camera and turning it on. Then log out and log back in this worked for me. Good luck

Announcements