cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3.16.10 not recognizing camera

dknapp1117
Contributor

I have a T7i that has been able to connect to the EOS utility for years. However, after the latest Win 10 patch and an update to the EOS utility to version 3.16.10, the utility does not connect. The older version stopped working as well.

While the camera is detected by Win 10 as an SD card, the EOS utility does not recognize the camera. The utility does say Pairing over WIFI/LAN, but nothing happens. The camera shows that it is connected to a pc via the pc icon on the main screen of the camera. The utility also does not have any settings come up, so I cannot change download folders, etc. I have also tried version 2 of the EOS utility, no luck there either. The camera has the latest firmware, and it does connect via Wi-Fi to my iPad Canon download program. Canon Digital Photo Pro 4 also sees the SD card on the camera, and I can import with it, but normally I don't want to start it up for every import.  Anyone have some suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

OK, let's see if we can work through this.

1. as a wrote in my post, "Connect to an EOS camera" is text; nothing will happen if you click it.

2. close the EOS Utility program. Go Into your Hidden icons area at the bottom right of the Task bar. Open the window and see if you see the EOS Utility icon. If so click on it"

Screenshot 2023-02-28 104525.jpg

Select "Do not launch...".

3. Connect your camera by USB and power it on. Open the Devices and Printers window in Control panel. Do you see your camera?

Screenshot 2023-02-28 105254.jpg

4. Go to C: drive Program Files (x86) and look for this path:

Screenshot 2023-02-28 110135.jpg

Since you don't want the Wi-Fi/direct choice you can open EU3 directly. Then just save the shortcut to your desktop or Task Bar.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How recent was the “Windows Patch” released and installed?  What is your current Build Number for Windows 10?  

Make sure that you have enabled Wi-Fi in the camera.  You should disconnect any cables connected to the USB Port using the camera in its Wi-Fi communication mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The patch was installed last night, Feb 25, and system rebooted this morning. I don't want to use a WiFi connection, I prefer using a USB cable. WiFi and Bluetooth is enabled though, so it can autoconnect to the iPad Canon import utility. I have never needed to change that setting. Normally, if using a USB cable, it connects with that first and does not bother with the WiFi.

@dknapp1117 wrote:

The patch was installed last night, Feb 25, and system rebooted this morning. I don't want to use a WiFi connection, I prefer using a USB cable. WiFi and Bluetooth is enabled though, so it can autoconnect to the iPad Canon import utility. I have never needed to change that setting. Normally, if using a USB cable, it connects with that first and does not bother with the WiFi.

The utility does say Pairing over WIFI/LAN, but nothing happens.

Now I am confused.  Are you trying to establish a Wi-Fi connection or a USB connection?  Your initial post suggested Wi-Fi.  Now you want USB.

Take my advice.  If you want to connect using USB, then you should disable Wi-Fi.  It not disabling Wi-Fi worked for you in the past, then consider it to be a happy accident.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Screenshot 2023-02-28 083250.jpg

When the EOS Utility program is started you will get the above image. The software is running waiting for input from the user; nothing happens automatically.

If you select the Wi-Fi pairing link, which is active, a window will open showing Wi-Fi connection info (if it has been set up).

If you follow the upper text, which is just text, and connect a camera by USB and power it on the EOS Utility 3 software will open.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I do get that window. However, whether or not the camera Wi-Fi setting is on or disabled, when I plug into a USB 2.0 port, clicking on the "Connect an EOS camera" does nothing. The camera is showing as connected to a PC and File Explorer is showing a Canon SC card, from which I can download data, slowly. If Wi-Fi is enabled, also nothing happens. If I click on "Pairing" a pairing software window opens, but no cameras are listed. Screenshot EOS Utility Launcher.png

I had this same problem (camera list empty in the EOS Pairing Software window), although camera was successfully connected to WiFi.  I eventually found that EOS Utility sends SSDP broadcasts to port 1900 to find the cameras, but unfortunately EOS Webcam Utility also does.  When the camera response comes back, EOS Webcam Utility receives it and not EOS Utility.  I stopped the EWCPairingService and EWCService services used by EOS WebCam Utility, and restarted EOS Utility, and the camera list populated normally.   So, if you have installed EOS Webcam Utility, this may be causing your problem as well.

I prefer a USB connection, as I have never gotten the Wi-Fi connection to work. I have tried it with Wi-Fi both enabled and disabled, neither works.

Just to clarify, for several years, when I plugged it into a USB connection, the utility automatically came up and gave me options on where to copy the latest photos, along with other options. That was my preferred connection. Just lately, it no longer comes up automatically, nor does it allow me to choose any options. If I start it manually, the same thing happens - nothing. So, I also tried to use wireless. Same thing, it does not detect a camera. Right now, the only way I can get photos from the camera to the PC is to remove the SC card, or to start up Canon Digital Photo Pro 4. The latest update of the utility is dated 10/22.

Version is 21H2, build is 19044.2670.

The camera does detect my Wi-Fi network, it does also show as having detected two others, but does not allow me to delete/forget them. They are from neighbors. I cannot seem to authenticate to it, although the password is correct.

Announcements