cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect Err65 since updating R5 to 1.17

ron_studebaker
Contributor

Since I updated my R5 to firmware 1.17 I am getting error code Err65 when I try to connect via Canon Camera Connect on my iPad.

Has anyone else had this issue? 

29 REPLIES 29

jblaski
Apprentice

I too am having this err65 issue. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread, resetting connections, deleting and reinstalling cameras and connections, deleting and reinstalling the app, none of which have worked. Canon really needs to deal with this issue! The app used to work well on both my iphone and ipad, now neither work and are useless. 

I started this thread and the only way I could get a reliable connection is to turn off / unplug my WIFI router, then the steps listed below work.  Unfortunately I have to do this with every session,  which is kind of a pain.

I did not have this issue with previous firmware versions

@ron_studebaker wrote:

I started this thread and the only way I could get a reliable connection is to turn off / unplug my WIFI router, then the steps listed below work.  Unfortunately I have to do this with every session,  which is kind of a pain.

I did not have this issue with previous firmware versions

Just some general comments based on people's feedback.  There should be no need to unplug your router or turn off any device broadcasting a wi-fi signal in proximity to you.  

The iPAD or mobile device is making a connection to the Camera, which is essentially acting as the access point or "hotspot".  The iPAD or mobile phone becomes an "appendage" of the camera which allows you to control shooting and download images.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree there SHOULD be no need to unplug my router but as soon as I do, the connection works and stays connected

So, I turned off my house's wifi, and amazingly it worked once. Then continued to fail when trying again. There is definitely a connection between "ambient" wifi and these app connections. Canon needs to look into this and figure out what's going on. 

For each session I need to turn off my router, reset connections, deleting and reinstalling cameras and connections then its works great and stays connected for that session.

Rjmedia
Contributor

iOS just released an update 16.3.1 after updating I was able to connect a number of times but, after turning the camera off it will not connect again. 

you would think in 2023 connecting WiFi would not be an issue. Canon’s networking has never been great. Canon cameras are the only devices of many I own both cheap and expensive that don’t just connect and stay connected. 

I am looking for a 3rd party App cuz I am fed up with the Canon [can’t]Connect App. 

jblaski
Apprentice

So an update: when I’m working in the mountains, with zero Wi-Fi, the Connect app works perfect to transfer photos to my phone or iPad. As soon as I’m at work or home with Wi-Fi signals, the app goes to crap and nothing works. This is 100% an issue with the app, the camera firmware, or combination of the 2. This needs to be addressed by Canon ASAP. 

HarborPictures
Contributor

Agreed. In the presence of other Wi-Fi’s it consistently is a problem 

jamestrenda
Apprentice

UPDATE 2: Correction, re-installing the firmware worked that one time. I’m continuing to get this error and it is very frustrating. Being able to transfer over WiFi is a big need and Canon really needs to resolve this issue ASAP. 

UPDATE: I was able to re-install the firmware. It literally said 1.7.0 —> 1.7.0, but it went through the whole song and dance of downloading it and once it was complete, I opened up the canon connect app and it just worked. So, try re-installing the firmware. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Same issue as every one else here with my r5 on iOS. Was working fine (well, working well enough) before I did the last firmware update. Now Err65 every time. Firmware 1.7.0. I just updated to iOS 16.3.1 and updated the app again hoping it would all work now, but no… extremely frustrating as I loved being able to transfer photos directly to my iPhone to edit in Lightroom right on my phone. I’m too lazy to get my Mac out to do a usb-c transfer, which does fortunately still work after the update. 

Announcements