cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R500 - Maximum length of video or file size?

rkrpxz
Apprentice

I am using a 32GB SD card with my Vixia HF R500. I'm trying to capture a nest of birds outside one of my windows so I mounted the camcorder on a tripod and left it to record whatever it sees. However, I see that the recording always stops around the 22 min mark, so I have to go back and restart the recording. What is the limiting factor for this duration? Is it the size of the file (around 2.7GB, I think) or is it something else? Where is this mentioned in the manual or in the specs? I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere officially.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rkrpxz,
Thanks for checking in with us.

The camera should be able to record for longer, depending on the memory card and settings you're using. Check to make sure that AUTO POWER OFF in the menu is disabled and then try doing additional tests.

If problems persist, try doing tests with different memory cards. The camera can reach data speeds of 24 Mbps or faster, so you make sure your memory card can sustain that.

Sometimes a card might be able to reach a certain maximum write speed, but it can't sustain that data rate for long. That's why some card makers have started to add Video Speed Class to their cards. For example, a V10 card should be able to sustain the data rate needed to shoot HD footage at 1080p.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rkrpxz,
Thanks for checking in with us.

The camera should be able to record for longer, depending on the memory card and settings you're using. Check to make sure that AUTO POWER OFF in the menu is disabled and then try doing additional tests.

If problems persist, try doing tests with different memory cards. The camera can reach data speeds of 24 Mbps or faster, so you make sure your memory card can sustain that.

Sometimes a card might be able to reach a certain maximum write speed, but it can't sustain that data rate for long. That's why some card makers have started to add Video Speed Class to their cards. For example, a V10 card should be able to sustain the data rate needed to shoot HD footage at 1080p.

I have this Vixia MH R500 and have the same problem with multiple files (4mb and 30 minute file size) when trying to record for a full hour or more. Using 64GB formatted to exFAT, Transcend UHS-ISD 300S with 95MBs read speed Class 10 V30 4K. Tried reformatting to NTFS without any change in file size. Could you recommend a card that might overcome this file size restriction? Is this really a restriction built into the camera or truly a SD card restriction???

Announcements