cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch focus area

beyontheblue
Enthusiast

On the XA40 and other cameras with the touch screen focus, is there any way to increase the touch box area to cover more of the screen?

7 REPLIES 7

Inapickle
Rising Star

No. Why would you want to do that ?

@Inapickle wrote:

No. Why would you want to do that ?

Because the touch area of the screen is only around 1/2 of the frame. You can't touch focus on anything towards the edge of the framed image.

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi beyontheblue,

Thanks for checking in with us!

The camera doesn't have any options for adjusting its touch-screen capabilities. If you find the screen to be unresponsive, it might help to clean it with a lint-free lens cloth when the camcorder is off. Without applying excessive pressure, use a circular motion as you move across the screen.

Inapickle
Rising Star
I understand, but you dont say why you would want to touch-focus around the periphery of the frame, rather than move the camera slightly to bring the subject into the touch area box. If it’s to achieve a ‘pull’ or ‘rack’ focus effect you would have to do that manually with the focus ring and Focus Assist (which magnifies the image) turned off.

@Inapickle wrote:
I understand, but you dont say why you would want to touch-focus around the periphery of the frame, rather than move the camera slightly to bring the subject into the touch area box. If it’s to achieve a ‘pull’ or ‘rack’ focus effect you would have to do that manually with the focus ring and Focus Assist (which magnifies the image) turned off.

Yes exactly that, to "pull focus". The touch screen is very responsive to touch and when zoomed in and using a tripod I can "pull focus" by touch without the slightest of camera shake but using the focus ring moves the camera too much. It's obviously not as noticable on a wider shot. Its just frustrating that touch focus is not all of the screen if that makes sense.

Inapickle
Rising Star

Another thing you could try is using the ‘Focus Preset’ feature to switch between manual focus settings. I don’t have that feature on my HF-G40 to try it myself. You could also use a LANC remote that has manual focus control. I have an old Bebob Zoe LANC remote that works very nicely for that. The thumb rocker is very smooth and can be set fot controlling Zoom or Focus. Sadly the Bebob LANC controllers were discontinued, but they come up occasionally on EBay.

@Inapickle wrote:

Another thing you could try is using the ‘Focus Preset’ feature to switch between manual focus settings. I don’t have that feature on my HF-G40 to try it myself. You could also use a LANC remote that has manual focus control. I have an old Bebob Zoe LANC remote that works very nicely for that. The thumb rocker is very smooth and can be set fot controlling Zoom or Focus. Sadly the Bebob LANC controllers were discontinued, but they come up occasionally on EBay.

Just had a quick play and it looks like 'focus preset' is the way to go. It re-focuses a little too quick but I think there may be a way to slow it down.

Announcements