cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 Lost Touch To Focus

doubleJ
Contributor

Hello...

Last night, I was doing some recordings of a music band.
When I zoomed in, I noticed that they were out of focus.
It was kind of a knees-up shot of 3 guys and it should have picked up their faces.
Assuming that the zoom was just too far out or that the exposure was too low, I tapped one of their faces and nothing happened.
No box showed up and it didn't focus on the spot.
I ended up having to do a manual focus.

I thought that I had messed a setting up, so I started hunting through the menus.
The focus switch was set to Auto.
The menu setting was Continual.
Face and Eye were both on and it was set to Face Only.

Could it be that Face Only somehow disables the touch functionality?
I was able to tap the bottom-left corner, to bring up the options (white balance, zebra, etc...).
I used the touch functionality, a couple weeks ago, but it could have been on Face Priority.

Thanks...
JJ

1 REPLY 1

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings doubleJ,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with touch focus on your Canon XF605 camcorder. The camcorder is able to touch focus on a subject when using the Face Only mode.

There could be a couple of reasons on why it may have not worked during your shoot. Per your description, it may have been a combination of the three things you've listed like the angle of the camera facing the subjects where the camera was at a lower angle and looking up.

The exposure being too low to where there was not enough contrast on the subjects for the camera to pick up on them to lock focus. And the camera being zoomed out far enough to where the faces may have been too small to detect.

If possible, please test the function on the camcorder where the camcorder is leveled to the face of a person who is filling up at least 30% of the frame and the subject is looking directly at the camcorder. This will help to see if the camcorder is functioning correctly when it comes to face detection and touch focus.

Announcements