cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposure problems

graphicsgeezer
Contributor

Is there  any way to set the sensitivity of the  camera so that it doesn't burn out the white highlights? I  bought the camera because of rave reviews about its ability to preserve image and  color info but I'm not  impressed at  all. The other day I was shooting a guy in auto mode wearing a white  hardhat under  a sunny overcast  sky.The hard  hat  shows up solid white in the clip.  I've  tried to  edit the image in post but there  is no  image information  to work with on the  hard hat. Using  the Lumetri tool in Adobe Premiere I can change the curves all I want but the hard  hat is  still blank white while  the rest of the image can go almost black. On the same day I used  my old Panasonic HD camcorder and the image info was well preserved. The hardhat showed good gradations  in  color.

I  suppose  I  should shoot in manual mode but this  is  far from easy. On a bright sunny day it's all I  can  do  to see the screen  let  alone the microscopic adjustment tools. As an old SLR user I'm  used to  twirling  physical knobs and watching the  exposure canges through the  viewfinder. My retailler will not  take  the  camera back because it's  more  than a   month  old, so I guess I'll have to live  with it..

2 REPLIES 2

Danny

Hi, graphicsgeezer!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for your reply. The camcorder is a Vixia HF G50. The still image of the man standing is taken from a raw clip shot in full automatic mode under a bright, overcast sky. There's nothing I can do to reveal surface gradations in the hard hat.  Compare that to the smaller image of the same man on a roof. It was shot with 10-year-old Panasonic HDC TM 900, in full auto mode. Same sky about half an hour later. Obviously the image has a greenish tint but its otherwise  much easier to correct than the Vixia one.

panasonic.jpg

vixia.jpg

Announcements