cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Legria HF-G25 Output Resolution 720 x 576 on HD Display

Hanroux
Apprentice
I'm wondering if someone can help me with an odd problem I'm having. I bought a 2nd hand Canon Legria HF-G25 a few months ago & for the price the camera is doing a great job. It's mainly used for live streaming services, so the HDMI output is very important. It's also used for occasional recordings.

I mainly use it with a Black Magic Atem Mini switcher with some GoPro Hero 5 action cams. When I use it with this switcher, the output resolution is correct at 1920 x 1080 & I have no problems with it. I tried using it with another video capture card - the Razer Ripsaw HD & then the camera changes the resolution to 720 x 576. I made sure all the settings are correct, but this happens automatically when the video capture card is connected. I also connected the camcorder to a HD CRT monitor & the same thing happens. It only sends 1080p when I use it with the Black Magic Atem Mini.

Does anybody know what the reason for this might be? Occasionally I just want to use the camcorder for recording & use the HDMI output for reference on a bigger monitor. Any assistance will be appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

720 x 576 is standard definition (SD) PAL or SECAM.  So for whatever reason, when using your other capture process, it's only able to work with SD.  Or, is reverting to SD due to an incompatible HD signal.

Check to see if you have any control over the HDMI output in terms of being progressive vs. interlace (1080p vs 1080i).  Sometimes external recording equipment can only work with interlace.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for your reply. The settings on the Canon Legria HF-G25 is pretty limited, since it's a prosumer camera & not a professional one. The settings that can be changed on it (that's related to progessive & interlaced) is the frame rate - options of either 50i (Standard 50 frames interlaced) or PF25 (25 frames progressive). Other than that the HDMI output can be set to 1920 x 1080, but no option is available to switch between progressive or interlaced here. Once a display or video capture device is connected to it, it will change the HDMI status automatically depending on what camera it is connected to.

Will the actual HDMI cable make any difference if the cable is not up to spec? I've used different lenghts with the Black Magic Atem Mini with much success, but with thie Razer Ripsaw video capture card it seems to have a problem, even with short 3m to 5m HDMI cables. When a GoPro camera is connected to the it, it sends 1080p video without any problems. There is something on the Canon camera end that is the problem, but I'm not sure what it could be. The same video capture card was used previously with a much cheaper camcorder without any problems, so it's really confusing.

The cable shouldn't matter in this case.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi! Did you find a solution for this? I'm having the same issue.

Nope... it seems to be OK with some video capture cards, but not all of them. I gave the camera to a friend that used it with a cheap USB video capture dongle & it worked fine, but with the more expensive one I have (Razer Ripsaw HD) it won't push out the full 1080p resolution. Not sure what the cause of the problem is!

very good!! I'm having the same problem !! have you got the solution? Do you know which video capture devices are compatible so that in HDMI a resolution of 1080 ??? I await your answer please 🙏

Announcements