cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't initialize new memory card; Vixia HF S100

CamraMaan
Apprentice

I just bought two new memory cards, and neither one will initialize correctly on my camcorder... it goes through the process on the screen, but afterward, it seems like nothing has changed, and it says the cards still need to be initialized.  One is an Onn 256gb (U3), the other is a SanDisk 64gb (U1).  Not sure what information to provide, but hopefully someone can help...  🙂

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The maximum card size for that camcorder is 32GB. and they use the FAT file system. You must format the cards in the camcorder and not your computer as this can cause recording problems.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Here are the requirements for your camera:

shadowsports_0-1640452243424.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

CamraMaan
Apprentice

I appreciate the info, but I saw the same in my manual before I purchased the cards.  They're both class 10, so I figured that shouldn't be the issue...? 

I'm also curious what file system to format the memory cards in, if using my computer?  It defaults to exFAT, so I just want to make sure that's not the problem?

Again, thanks for any/all help!  🙂

I should add that the camera recognizes and uses similar, but older, memory cards just fine, but none are larger than 32 GB.

The maximum card size for that camcorder is 32GB. and they use the FAT file system. You must format the cards in the camcorder and not your computer as this can cause recording problems.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Thank you!  I had a feeling 32 GB was a max.  Sad day...  😞

Announcements