cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiDE 400 connection issues

AndyDarroch
Apprentice

Hi, it's a new scanner which I've had for only a few days. It's connected straight to the PC by the USB cable that came with it. It took some effort to get it going at all, firstly it wouldn't connect or start because my USB ports were old type, however I upgraded those with a USB 3.0 PCI card. With that done it still wasn't responding until I moved it slightly on the desk and heard it activate, and then I was able to scan some documents into the PC. My suspicion is that either there's a fault with the cable or the port on the scanner.

I'm having problems trying to scan at the moment, it starts warming up, then begins the process, and then throws out a fault message "cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons: - scanner is turned off - USB cable is disconnected, Please check and try again. Scanner driver will be closed"  with error codes 2, 156, 50. I've tried all the usual fixes with no luck, so I think the most likely issue is an unstable USB port on the scanner.

Where do I go with it, it was purchased on Amazon and I received it 27 August.

4 REPLIES 4

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Please disconnect the scanner and then open the scanner cover. When that is done, reconnect the scanner to your computer and check the see where the scan bar stops. 

Does it stop on the hinge side of the scanner or in the front? 

We look forward to your reply. 

Hello, Im having the same issue.I've tried your suggestion and the bar stops on the hinge side opposite to the front where the buttons are. I've also tried disconnecting it from the usb port on my desktop and switching from locked to unlocked position but the error message persists.  It happens with Windows scanner app, IJ Scanner utility, Adobe Photoshop, VueScan, etc. What should I do? I've purchased it less than 6 months ago, It has had little use, but worked fine every time and suddenly starts coming up with that message. I've tried MacOs environment, Windows 11, same tests, same results.

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Since the bar stops at the hinge side, the scanner would require service. 

I recommend reaching out to Canon support for your warranty options. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I contacted Canon, downloaded a fix request and label, sent it to them by tracked mail, they had the same issue (random shutdown was not due to a bad connection but an internal fault), declared it unfixable and sent me a replacement - which I'm giving to my daughter as I'd already replaced it with a ScanSnap which is connected via Wi-Fi and is quicker.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements