cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageFormula R40 Scanner no longer scanning--TWAIN error

jbunshaft
Enthusiast

I have loved my R40 scanner, but now it won't work. I use the Canon-supplied software, both the driver and the CaptureOnTouch software. Recently, when I've tried to use it, I get "An error has occurred with the TWAIN driver. [Error: 80FF0001]" and that's it.

I've tried re-installing the driver. I've tried uninstalling it and re-installing it. I've tried uninstalling all the Canon software and re-installing the whole software package. Nothing has made it work. Someone, please help! Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks man, 

this really helped me out! 
I first was thinking about a windows update, as this was the last thing which had changed on the PC.

But as this now poped up a second time and the update is still blocked, the deactivation of the WIA service worked for me.

Thanks a lot for your inverstigation. I also opened a remedy ticket @ Canon Germany regarding this issue.

####################################################################
if you always do what you can already do, always remains what you already are (Henry Ford)

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Hi,

I recommend that you download and run the Restoration Tool for Windows Registry. This tool will search for and correct any issues that may be causing the error. The tool can be downloaded from the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/scanners/document-scanner/imagefor...

Once the tool is downloaded, please do the following:

1. Double-click on the RepairReg.exe file to run the utility.

2. Click the START button.

The utility will investigate and determine if there are any inconsistencies. If an inconsistency occurs, the utility will try to fix the issue.

If the issue persists, it is recommended that you call our Enterprise & Desktop Solutions Divisions at 1-800-423-2366 Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET, excluding holidays.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause; however, the steps needed to resolve the issue at this point, need to be provided by phone with a technician assisting you through them.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Since there are two forum threads on this error - not sure if it was in this one, but I already did that and posted that same link - it reported that it had fixed somethign, but still fails. Callling tech support - twice, no resllt, other than finally "must not be us, but some other software you are using".

That does not really correspond to the symptoms, where it works fine after any re-boot for a few days.

Thanks for the response; enough people have this issue I hope Canon can trace teh actual error and fix it.

Attempting to load this page offers sales coupons we'd prefer not to introduce to our service techs.  Also, the restoration tool supporting documents links appear and then disappear quickly.  We are unable to properly review the supporting documents.  Can you possibly post working links to the supporting documents?

Hi GettnBetter, 

I downloaded and opened the Restoration Tool for Windows Registry and the documentation without sales coupons or difficulty viewing the support documentation. Overall, I'm not yet sure that ArthurJ's solution will work, but just wanted to chime in and say his link and program seems legit. Hope this helps. 

Hi everyone, 

A client of mine had this problem last month. I spent a few hours troubleshooting to no happiness. The next day she called Canon Customer Support on her own and they remoted into her computer and fixed the issue.  I wasn't there for the call, but it seems they downloaded and installed picndln_install_08262020.exe .  I don't know how it works or if requires any further configuration, but everything is going smoothly now. Before I reported back here, I wanted to wait a couple of weeks to make sure their fix actually stuck, and it seems like it did/does. Guthrie, I'm sorry this program didn't work for you, but I hope this helps someone else.  

Nothing has worked, and I still have a non-working scanner. Is Canon working on a solution? If someone said, "we know, and we should have a patch in a week or two" (or whatever timeframe), that at least would give me some hope for tackling the mounting pile of paper I haven't been able to scan.

Can we get a fix from Canon after all these months? Calling on the phone got me sent on another wild goose chase, and the registry repair tool was only a temporary fix. I don't know if it was flawed Canon software or a Microsoft update that started this mess. What I do know is, I bought a Canon scanner, and for months now I've spent more time trying to get it to work than I have actually getting documents scanned. Please fix this. Thank you.

I and others have the same issue on W10, so it is not just a W11 thing.

FrogMan
Contributor

My computer says it's using Driver Version 1.0.0.0 too, even I've downloaded and installed packages with file names V1.2.1121.602 and V1.0.12106.9001 .  Not sure if that's related to anything. 

I noticed the same thing during my many attempts to fix this. If it is related to anything, I don't know what to do about it.

Announcements