cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageFormula R40 Scanner no longer scanning--TWAIN error

jbunshaft
Enthusiast

I have loved my R40 scanner, but now it won't work. I use the Canon-supplied software, both the driver and the CaptureOnTouch software. Recently, when I've tried to use it, I get "An error has occurred with the TWAIN driver. [Error: 80FF0001]" and that's it.

I've tried re-installing the driver. I've tried uninstalling it and re-installing it. I've tried uninstalling all the Canon software and re-installing the whole software package. Nothing has made it work. Someone, please help! Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks man, 

this really helped me out! 
I first was thinking about a windows update, as this was the last thing which had changed on the PC.

But as this now poped up a second time and the update is still blocked, the deactivation of the WIA service worked for me.

Thanks a lot for your inverstigation. I also opened a remedy ticket @ Canon Germany regarding this issue.

####################################################################
if you always do what you can already do, always remains what you already are (Henry Ford)

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

OMHRGuru
Apprentice

I am so happy to see the responses on here.  I thought I was crazy.  My computer does have the Windows 11 upgrade available, but I did not go through with it for fear of the same issue.  However, I am still having the same issue.  I have only had the Canon set up for 3 days.  I was able to scan for 1 day, fall in love with it, and when I returned to work the next day(it is a scanner used at my place of business for work), I could no longer use it.  Is this an issue with all Canon scanners or just this particular one?  Should I be looking for a different brand altogether?  This is definitely being returned.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that the driver is junk. 

GettnBetter
Apprentice

A bit more info on this.  On one of the computers today we found this problem again.  Turned the printer on and at the cursor noticed a circle thing repeatedly coming up.  Went into services and restarted the Windows Image Acquisition service and whallah.  The scanner appeared and worked.  This is just one PC though, we still have another half dozen still failing in different or similar ways, it's our most popular service request 🙂

This seems to be primarily a windows 11 issue. I tried for several hours to fix the TWAIN error problem on my new windows 11 desktop computer. No luck. I finally decided to reconnect the R40 to my old windows 10 desktop computer and was able to scan without a problem.  I hope Canon will develop a fix for the new windows 11 OS, otherwise the R40 will become worthless device.    

NO. It is an issue in W10 ^ W11.

for W10 at lelast, any new install and reboot works for a few days  so that is not a way to evaluate.

Thanks for the tip! This fixed my problem... now to let @canon debug and figure out why restarting a Windows service allows the scanner to work! 🤔

Thanks man, 

this really helped me out! 
I first was thinking about a windows update, as this was the last thing which had changed on the PC.

But as this now poped up a second time and the update is still blocked, the deactivation of the WIA service worked for me.

Thanks a lot for your inverstigation. I also opened a remedy ticket @ Canon Germany regarding this issue.

if you always do what you can already do, always remains what you already are (Henry Ford)

Not sure who/how this got marked as a solution. One person on a local system reported something (temporarily) worked? I started the thread - and until all others also agree - this should not be flagged as a solution.

My solution is to take this thing back to Office Deport for full refund.  I don't have the time to play these Mickey Mouse games.  Will never buy another Cannon product.

This is a Microsoft issue not a Canon issue. Canon is already investigating, but it takes some time, as always when software bugs are reported.

Announcements