cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageFormula R40 Scanner no longer scanning--TWAIN error

jbunshaft
Enthusiast

I have loved my R40 scanner, but now it won't work. I use the Canon-supplied software, both the driver and the CaptureOnTouch software. Recently, when I've tried to use it, I get "An error has occurred with the TWAIN driver. [Error: 80FF0001]" and that's it.

I've tried re-installing the driver. I've tried uninstalling it and re-installing it. I've tried uninstalling all the Canon software and re-installing the whole software package. Nothing has made it work. Someone, please help! Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks man, 

this really helped me out! 
I first was thinking about a windows update, as this was the last thing which had changed on the PC.

But as this now poped up a second time and the update is still blocked, the deactivation of the WIA service worked for me.

Thanks a lot for your inverstigation. I also opened a remedy ticket @ Canon Germany regarding this issue.

####################################################################
if you always do what you can already do, always remains what you already are (Henry Ford)

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Frustrated-2022
Contributor

I just thought I'd give an update from my post some months ago. I have made several calls to Canon Customer Support and the only solution that works (for a couple of days at most) is to use the 'Registry Repair Tool' to clear up the registry conflict, then do a computer restart/reboot. When the restart is finished, the scanner works for a short while until 'SOMETHING' goes wrong agai with the TWAIN driver. . . . . . . Neither Canon nor Microsoft has taken ownership for fixing this ongoing and very frustrating problem. Canon seems to think it has something to do with Windows 11 not being ready for Prime Time just yet. . . . a really disgusting response it my opinion.

Quick update. I had a system crash that necessitated a clean install of the operating system and software. I did not reinstall Windows 11 but opted to downgrade to my old Window 10 Pro OS. After all of my software & drivers were reinstalled, I tested the R40 in the Windows 10 configuration, and everything worked just fine. It has been working just fine for the past 4 weeks of fairly heavy use with not one single hic-up . . . . . My conclusion, this is a Microsoft problem & a Windows 11 problem. I will give Windows 11 another year to work out its problems before I upgrade again.

LochDhueDude
Apprentice

I bought my wife the ImageFormula R40 to use with her MacBook Pro 15" running Macos Catalina 10.15.7. I gave it to her for Christmas 2022 and today I proceeded to download the Installer File dated 12/09/2022.

The file installed without mishap, but I am unable to access the functions in the CaptureOnTouch software as both single and double-sided activation buttons cause an "Unable to find Driver" error message. There doesn't appear to be a proper Twain driver accessible to the system as Preview displays a grayed-out "Import From Scanner" menu-item.

I had briefly installed and tested the scanner with the software that was available when Amazon delivered the scanner in September and it worked fine with the then available CaptureOnTouch software, which I then uninstalled and wrapped her "present" for Christmas (having been burned by "Prime Day" sales that failed to function 90 days later. While the scanner was purchased at a decent discount, worked when delivered, and appears to be another excellent Canon product, it is only good as a boat anchor at present.

Please help.

Announcements