cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan LiDE 400 Driver install needing Administrator

gabrielrosnm
Apprentice

Downloaded the driver and software package. After I extract the files it gives me this message.

Problem: To install the software, you must be logged in to an administrator account.
Click [OK] to cancel the installation. If you are using the CD-ROM, remove it after clicking [OK]. Log in to an administrator account, then install the software.

Canon LIDE400.png

Using this driver on this page: Canon Support for CanoScan LIDE 400 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

CanoScan LiDE 400 Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)
Last Updated : 11-Mar-2022
Issue Number : 0100962901

I'm currently logged into an administrator account, but still get this error.

Any help will be appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Does the same error appear if you try downloading the CanoScan LiDE 400 Scanner Driver Ver.1.01 (Windows) as well? Or only with the driver and software option? 

We look forward to your reply. 

Hi Arthur,

I have run into the same block as Gabriel and got the notice that I need to be logged in as an administrator which I am on my laptop.

I just tried to install the CanoScan LiDE 400 Scanner Driver Ver.1.01 (Windows) as you suggested which was successful.

I retried the software + driver but it still comes up with the error.

When I press the scan button it pops up with a message on my laptop asking which program I want to use but there are no programs to choose so I am unable to use my scanner.

Are there any solutions to this?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@gabrielrosnm,

I have a big favor to ask you.  Can you please take a picture of the USB-C port connector on your LiDE400 and post it here for us to view?  I'm working with another user on something....

So, for your issue...

The driver file is a self-extracting zip.  Note the file extension is .exe

shadowsports_0-1683904782710.png

Rename it to .zip changing the .exe file extension to .zip.  Note, you'll need to have file name extensions set to display under the View tab in order to see the extension.

shadowsports_1-1683904886094.png

Now try unzipping (extracting) the file normally, and run Msetup4.exe 

shadowsports_2-1683904958391.png

Thanks and I appreciate your help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

gabrielrosnm
Apprentice

CanoScan LiDE 400 Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)
Last Updated : 11-Mar-2022
Issue Number : 0100962901

Problem: To install the software, you must be logged in to an administrator account.
Click [OK] to cancel the installation. If you are using the CD-ROM, remove it after clicking [OK]. Log in to an administrator account, then install the software.

I'm currently logged into an administrator account, but still get this error. I've also found other blogs on the internet having the same problem.

"Thankfully, a work around was posted by user Jivo VC on Microsoft's answers forum. Seems Canon had some clumsy coding in the driver install files. Here is the solution:

1. Unpack the driver's .exe into a folder

2. Locate msetup4.ini file and open it in Notepad

3. Search for [CHECKADMIN] section

4. Change IFNE=%ADMIN%,0 to IFNE=%ADMIN%,1

5. Save, and run Setup (M4SETUP.EXE)

Of-course, you will need to have some extraction software installed to complete step 1, I used WinRAR.

If anyone happens to run into this issue I hope this helps, just wanted to share.

The only problem with this I couldn't locate [CHECKADMIN]

Any help will be appreciated

@gabrielrosnm wrote:

The only problem with this I couldn't locate [CHECKADMIN]

Any help will be appreciated

[CHECKADMIN]  is not present in the .ini fileWhich means its not a work around or solution. Did you try my recommendation?  I had no issue executing setup after saving the file, renaming it from .exe. to .zip, unpacking it myself and running msetup4.exe.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Shadowsport,

I have tried saving and renaming the file from .exe to .zip on different locations on my hard drive with no luck, I still get the same message.

Just to make sure it's the download file that Im renaming to .zip i.e. 'win-lide400-1_1-n_mcd.exe'

By any chance do you know if there are any other Canon software packs that work with the CanoScan LiDE 400?   

Thanks

AlexK
Apprentice

Hi,

in my case, the problem was extremely poor implementation..

If you're a domain administrator and you want to install it on your machine, you're out of luck, because normally, the "Domain Administrators" group is in the Administrators group of your PC, but not the user you're logging in with.

Since the Setup implementation is crap, it just looks if your user is directly in the local administrator group... I'm a lead software developer.. If one of my guys implements it like that, he'll be degraded to clean floors... really poor.

Solution: add your user directly to the local administrator group and setup works...
However, remove it afterwards, it's extremely bad design to add user accounts directly to local administrators in a domain network...
Alternatively, log on with the LOCAL Administrator account, if it's not disabled (as it should be...)

@Canon: how about doing it right? It's not that hard to check if a user has admin privileges...

Announcements