cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA50 Using an External Mic With Camera's Handle Removed

KaiserRoll
Apprentice

I am trying to use my XA50 without the top handle and plug a mini shotgun mic with an 1/8 phono plug into the mic IN jack by the lens. I want the top handle off to reduce the camera profile for my B-roll camera, but have a safety audio source by using a small Rode mini shotgun.

When I listen thru my headphones, I hear only the on-board mic just above the lens. Tapping the shotgun produces nothing - it's not "on".  Any ideas what I am doing wrong to prevent a plugged-in mic from working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think I found the answer.  You can record audio using the input terminals*

Then the fine print. *Requires that the handle unit be correctly attached to the camcorder.

shadowsports_0-1690041112549.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

If you use the mic with the top handle, do audio recording then work?  What specific audio settings have you set when using the mic without the top handle?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

KaiserRoll
Apprentice

Hello Ricky,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and asking pertinent questions. 

With the top handle installed and using an XLR cable into Inputs 1 or 2, audio comes in as expected.

Audio also comes in to channels 3 and 4 automagically thru the internal mic (right behind the lens). In addition, I have tried two different mini shotgun mics (with 1/8" phono plug)

Audio setup (with Top handle OFF):

MENU 1 - all choices grayed-out (Ch2 Input, CH3/CH4 Input, INPUT 1 Mic Trimming, INPUT 1 Mic Att., INPUT 2 Mic Trimming, INPUT 2 Mic Att.)

MENU 2 - INPUT 1/2 Limiter - grayed out, INPUT 1/2 ALC Link - grayed out,  Built-in Mic Sensitivity-NORM, Built-in Mic -OFF, Built-In Mic low Cut - OFF, MIC att. - OFF

MENU 3 - Mic Low Cut - OFF, MIC ALC Link - LINK, MIC Power - ON, Headphone vol - 7, Monitor Channels - CH3/4, HDMI Channels - CH1/2

MENU 4 - Modification sounds - OFF

This is my Broll camera and I just want to attach a small shotgun mic as an audio "safety". I thought this would be easy-peasy; slide a mic on top. Plug the 1/8" phono jack into the camera. Hit record. Get audio from the add-on mic, not the built-in mic.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. ~EdK

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think I found the answer.  You can record audio using the input terminals*

Then the fine print. *Requires that the handle unit be correctly attached to the camcorder.

shadowsports_0-1690041112549.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yep. That's the answer, Rick. NONE of the external mic inputs work unless the handle is attached - including the built-in 1/8"  MIC input on the camera body. Seems so odd to me to force me to use the handle when I don't want such a big profile camera for this project. I thought the whole purpose of the 1/8 MIC input was to enable better audio without using the handle. Silly me!

Thank you for taking the time to point my nose in the right direction.  

~Ed / Chicago Area

~C70, XA-50, R5, FCPX

Announcements