cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C not powering over USB PD

Fuzzyw89
Apprentice

After updating to firmware 1.0.3, camera no longer draws power over USB. When connected, via the same source I was using before, camera would draw  about 5 watts of power. Now it draws none. However, the camera shows it’s in USB PD mode, but battery still drains as if not plugged in. I checked and made sure the USB option was not on video out mode. Any suggestions?? I’m worried that the USB port might have failed somehow or the firmware update isn’t allowing it charge and power over USB PD. 

23 REPLIES 23

Hi Michael, unfortunately I just tested the official power solution from Canon, the USB-PD-E1 Adapter like I was told from Canon. They said it will work 100%. But unfortunately, the internal battery still drained completely. So both my cameras are 100% defective. I will talk to Canon now and bring them to service.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@nilssamp,

Hope you'll have luck working with Canon Germany.  I haven't had any of the issues being described above. USB-C PD powers and charges as expected.  I can charge to "Full" on the LCD.  I'm not loosing footage or images either.  This is one of those situations I think Canon will need to help solve.  You appear to be using high quality gear in a usual or customary manner.  I'd try the same things I mentioned above.  Settings reset and test with all accessories removed. If the camera is not charging, it needs to be inspected.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I was in contact with canon for about 4 weeks back and forth and the only thing they said is that it only is supposed to work with the official power adapters. That's it. I'm stuck now with 10k worth of cameras :(((( best customer support o.O

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I believe the real issue here is your body needs service.  There are enough ways to test USB-PD without using the Anker Power Bank, which is much less expensive now than when the R5 C was released.  If you test with 2 different sources and the PD fails, I recommend getting the body to Canon.  While this is not something we look forward to, it happens.  You get the issue addressed and move forward.  I'm very sorry you are going through it now.  I don't use my camera professionally but would be disappointed if I couldn't use it the way I wanted, or it was intended.  Get it inspected so you can continue enjoying it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thx for your response. How else should I test it? I tested 2 different R5C Bodies with 2 different FX Lion V-Mount Batteries and 2 different Anker USB PD Chargers and a couple of cables? The problem is I proposed to bring my camera to a service center, but they refused to check it!

[Ticket number removed to protect privacy.]

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I don't understand why they won't inspect your camera(s).  You are presenting for service.  

"Hi, my camera is not charging or being powered through USB-C PD.  Can you please tell me why not"?

They take it, run diagnostics and will probably tell you the main board needs to be replaced.  

They were purchased in the country where you are trying to get service correct?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

nilssamp
Contributor

Yes, of course. I try another time to write them.

nilssamp
Contributor

So almost half a year has passed talking back and forth and now I have an answer from canon service. turns out there was a surge damage to both cameras. I now need to pay 450 euro to get them repaired. Only thing I did was to power them via USB-C with an FXLion nano two battery which even canon uses in some of their official videos on their youtube channel. Maybe I get them repaired and as soon as I plug my FXlion in again both will be fried again.The camera is not usable without an vmount!

nilssamp
Contributor

Long story short I got both cameras repaired by canon and the exchanged the powerboard... Just so u guys know.

Well shoot. Looks like I’ve got to start this process as well. Thanks for your info on that journey. Mine’s malfunctioning the same way. I’ll start a new thread and contact Canon.

Announcements