cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C Vertical Video Comes Out Sideways

jboogy50082
Contributor

When I try to shoot video by turning the camera vertical the video comes out side ways when viewing on the computer. Is there a reason why it’s happening like that? other canera when I record vertically I’m able to view the video vertically on the computer 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I saw in the menus that there is a way to rotate the video to portrait orientation as the person stated above.But uploading the media still comes out side ways. To fix the problem I have to rotate the video in editing software 90 degree.when I did research I found that certain file formats will export in portrait when viewing on the computer

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is this what you are looking for?

shadowsports_0-1668436470474.png

If not, I'll have to try and reproduce recording something in portrait orientation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jboogy50082 wrote:

When I try to shoot video by turning the camera vertical the video comes out side ways when viewing on the computer. Is there a reason why it’s happening like that? other canera when I record vertically I’m able to view the video vertically on the computer 

It is my understanding that there is a setting within the R5c menus that allow you to capture video with the camera rotated to a portrait orientation.

I am curious, though.  What other cameras allow you to shoot in a portrait orientation?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have a Fuji X-S10 and the Canon R5 C. Using the Fuji, imported video is automatically displayed as portrait when shot in that orientation. Not so in the R5 C. I'm also looking for a solution.

I saw in the menus that there is a way to rotate the video to portrait orientation as the person stated above.But uploading the media still comes out side ways. To fix the problem I have to rotate the video in editing software 90 degree.when I did research I found that certain file formats will export in portrait when viewing on the computer

nice....
would you mind sharing which formats?
thanks

god i wish it were simpler

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

Canon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023.jpgCanon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023-2.jpgCanon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023-3.jpgCanon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023-4.jpgCanon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023-5.jpgCanon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023-6.jpgCanon EOS RP-RF50mm F1.8 STM-June 16, 2023-7.jpgWhen trying to shoot portrait in video mode, just shoot it as usual in landscape mode, then crop in post.  You can set your markers for the LCD or VF or HDMI to display a "Mask" marker for the aspect ratio you want, except it will be in reverse.  Example, you normally shoot 16:9.  Set the mask marker at 9:16, which will let you frame your shot so you can crop it later in post and keep your subject within the lines.  Or just flip the camera over, without doing anything else, and then flip the footage later in post.  You have to edit all footage coming from this camera anyway.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites
Announcements