cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Vixia HFS20 camcorder won't charge battery

tuckerdognc
Contributor

VIXIA HS20 won't charge battery and won't hold a charge.

I purchased the camera in 2011.

I have two dead Canon branded batteries.
I have tried three off-brands so far.

Blinks seven times slow, 1-2 second break, blinks seven.

Have tried to charge for 18 hours, 12 hrs. and 2 days.

The best charge I can get is 78 minutes. If I check and just leave, the battery drains to 48 minutes in less than 20

So, the answers to what to do when the battery won't charge doesn't answer:

If your camcorder works fine with power, and your batteries won't charge.

Now what?
I'm supposed to purchase a CANON battery for $130 IF I CAN FIND ONE? Seriously?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Richard wrote:

Hi Tuckerdognc,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Even if the battery isn't being charged in your camcorder, you may charge your camcorder's battery using the Battery Charger CG-800.

I know. I found an after market charger that revived my BP-808 and purchased an after market BP-819. So far, so good. Haven't actually attempted to use in the field yet, but I tested by turning the recorder on and letting it go for about an hour with the 819, then recharged. 150 minutes is it's top. the 808 I've let run down 1/2 and I'm getting an 80 min charge. If these don't discharge just for being attached to the camera, I'll be good. (That appeared to be happening before I purchased the charger).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello tuckerdognc, 

I understand that the batteries do not seem to last that long in your VIXIA HF S20.  The batteries are considered to be replaceable items and it sounds like that may be the case here.  You mention having used them for five years and still getting between 48-78 minutes on a charge.  It may simply be time to consider replacing these batteries with new ones.  I think doing so will resolve the issues that you are having.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No, I've had the camera for five years. I probably have used the battery a total of 50 hours. Possibly. The update: After going though lots of hassles with batteries, all off brand since Canon doesn't apparently make this obsolete battery anymore - after all, the camera was only $1000 and apparently $200 a year is perfectly fine since people throw phones away for that much yearly - I purchased a stand-alone charger. It worked for the off-brand battery but it will not recharge the Canon batteries, which as I said, are five years old, but haven't been used for five years.

So, the charger in the camcorder no longer works as the power AC does; and as I have found on numerous forums that is a problem with Canon and the manufacture of this particular camcorder.

Hi Tuckerdognc,

Even if the battery isn't being charged in your camcorder, you may charge your camcorder's battery using the Battery Charger CG-800.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Richard wrote:

Hi Tuckerdognc,

I know. I found an after market charger that revived my BP-808 and purchased an after market BP-819. So far, so good. Haven't actually attempted to use in the field yet, but I tested by turning the recorder on and letting it go for about an hour with the 819, then recharged. 150 minutes is it's top. the 808 I've let run down 1/2 and I'm getting an 80 min charge. If these don't discharge just for being attached to the camera, I'll be good. (That appeared to be happening before I purchased the charger).

Announcements