Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print not matching screen

rr
Apprentice

print does not match screen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

i am facing the same problem. the photo on my imac 27" showed a girl in a cloudy day, relatively bright, but the print out from my pro 10 (first print after installation) made people thought that a thunderstorm was about to start (very dim)... I have a colormunki which I am thinking of to use.

Question, is it a must that a professional printer as such (pixma pro 10) need to be calibrated?

casual than casual

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is a pretty vague problem description, but frequently the problem with print not matching screen is that you don't have a calibrated monitor.

Try starting here: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/pixma_software_tutorials.shtml

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tiffany

Hi rr!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what model printer you're using.  Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks and have a great day!

i am facing the same problem. the photo on my imac 27" showed a girl in a cloudy day, relatively bright, but the print out from my pro 10 (first print after installation) made people thought that a thunderstorm was about to start (very dim)... I have a colormunki which I am thinking of to use.

Question, is it a must that a professional printer as such (pixma pro 10) need to be calibrated?

casual than casual

Most folks seem to have the monitor brighter than optimum.

I edit my prints in a room with no overhead lighting and use a desk lamp so that no light shines on the monitor. If I put my hand on the monitor surface the back of my hand is dark; no light shinng on it.

Go to this website: http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

and download the test image and see how that prints without making any adjustments. The test file is properly exposed and adjusted for color, so that will tell you if your printer is functioning OK.

I would also suggest you adjust the monitor brightness and contrast to 50% level as a starting point.

The ColorMunki isn't calibrating your printer, its calibrating your monitor.

As a test, adjust your monitor brightness up and down, print an image at each setting, and you will see that all the prints will look exactly the same since you haven't affected the digital file.

Calibrating your monitor sets it to the brightness that will replicate the printer output, so when you adjust an image in your processing software to look how you want on screen you will be sure thats how it will look on paper.

Here are some excerpts from a document that Canon supplies with the Print Studio Pro software.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Since you already have the calibration tool you should definitely use it. It is 30 minutes well spent.

I have the Pro-100, and I can tell you it makes stunning prints.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Impressed with the PRO 100...........still struggling with the intricacies of LR and PS

Had an EPSON 2200 prior; was able to manually set gamma.  Had help with setting up with new printer and monitor.......still MUCH for me to get resolved.

THANKS for your input.

RR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A far easier way to get the two closer is, contrast, brightness and gray-scale.  You can adjust these with what came with your computer and monitor.  Nothing else!

If you get these settings correct most likely you will be happy.  Remember you are comparing light on a screen to pigment.  They are two very different properities.

All those color gagets are probably useful to geeks but not for use meer mortals, get these three right and move on to great prints.

And keep in mind you are not likely to get every single color to match no matter what.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements