cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print Studio Pro not working with MacOS Big Sur

JLMitchell19
Apprentice

Any idea when a Big Sur compatible version of Print Studio Pro will become available?  Tried to download and install ver 2.2.4 and it will not install.  Anyone have a workaround to use PSP plugin with Lightroom and Photoshop? Thanks 

I have a Apple iMac with a Canon Pixma Pro 100

23 REPLIES 23

Thank you for your prompt reply, John. I'll give it a try and see if I can install it.

HeyThere
Apprentice

It seems like I have having a similar issue to everyone on here. My printer worked fine before the Big Sur update and now it won't pull up the plug-in for the printer (File - Automate - Canon Printer whatever no longer shows up). I've tried downloading the older version for Catalina, but it still doesn't show up in Photoshop. I downloaded the folder off of the OneDrive and placed it in the Plug-ins folder in Adobe Photoshop 2021 folder, but that did nothing. There isn't any software in the folder to run. Would like to have this fixed ASAP as I am dependent on this printer working for my business and can't afford to lose work during these times.

I contacted Canon via phone and they confirmed PSP 2.2.4 is NOT compatible with OS Big Sur.  They did say they are working on a solution but did not have a timetable for release.  

nsoltz
Contributor
I would avoid Big Sur for at least 6 months

I find it very strange that someone is saying they have successfully installed Studio Pro onto Big Sur seeing as Canon support in Australia have advised me the following. 

"Due to a number of factors including design, requirements and age there is no driver suitable for your operating system.  We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused."

When I asked when it will be available 

"Canon Pixma Pro-1 was released October 2011. The printer is no longer capable of integrating with current operating systems. This is evident for all equipment or devices that they reach end of life compatibility. We apologize for the trouble. Right now, we cannot tell if this printer will be compatible with Big Sur or future Mac OS versions."

Not only does Studio Pro not work with Big Sur they seem to be saying the printers have reached their end of life and so won't be supported any further. Either that or the support person I got in Australia is just really really bad at doing their job and representing Canon.

Bottom line this happens every yet and Canon should have a new update ready to go for their main printer software each year before Apple even release the new operating system to the public. And they should support all products they sell for at least 5yrs after they STOP selling an item. As of 2018 the item was still not listed on Canon's site as discontinued. I bought it in 2017 so to be told in 2020 there's no longer the software to use with it is ridiculous.

Welcome to the forum.

There is a driver for the Pro-1 printer in the Big Sur operating system environment. If it isn't on the Canon Autralia site you can get it from Canon USA or Canon Europe.

Screenshot 2020-12-26 151533.jpg

Print Studio Pro 2.2.4 will run on a Big Sur MacBook Air.

Monosnap 2020-12-26 15-22-19.jpg

There may be a problem with the PSP Installer running correctly on Big Sur (I say may since I haven't tried it), but if PSP 2.2.4 was installed when it was released back in March for Catalina it will function under Big Sur. I have verified that with Canon DPP, Adobe LrC and Adobe Ps.

There was an error message generated when I first tried using it in LrC about a missing file folder, but I created that folder and then the apllication executed properly.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. I will look into it again but I got the error message on Lightroom as well but the folder was not missing. It was there with data in it. So I deleted the folder, deleted Print Studio app, and then tried to reinstall and got error messages trying to install it. Combined with the feedback from Canon Australia seemed it was not compatible with BigSur.

I will look into what you have provided though and see if I can get it to work.

Hello again

So while I appreciate the link to the driver for Big Sur I hadn't actually had any issue printing to my Pro-1. I've run the driver just in case but that wasn't an issue.

I have just run the installer for Print Studio Pro 224.pkg and it says The installation failed. The installation encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

This is the issue. This is where Canon is failing miserably. It is incompatible with BigSur OR at the very least, the installer is incompatible. Which is even more furstrating if you're genuinely using PSP on BigSur at the moment through some kind of workaround that Canon isn't able to guide on.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You have the ....../PrintStudioPro_LR_Temp file?

Have you authorized full disk access for PSP?

Do you really need PSP? I do not print using PSP since I use Lightroom and if I use PSP it bypasses the LR print module and thus the LR output sharpening routine. I inly have it installed because sometimes it is needed if I try and assist someone on the forum.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Right now I do not have PSP installed at all. I removed it all thinking a fresh install might fix the error message I was getting in Lightroom when trying to use it after installed Big Sur.

I perhaps don't need it it's just what I'm used to - I've never used Lightroom's inbuilt printing. Perhaps a silly thought but considered Canon's own software would provide the best results for printing with their own printers.

My biggest immediate issue with Lightroom's print module is it doesn't appear to have borderless printing with margins being a min 0.25 in. Just selecting paper size doesn't seem intuitive and PSP just made it all very easy to get quality prints in my experience.

Announcements