cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print Studio Pro not working with MacOS Big Sur

JLMitchell19
Apprentice

Any idea when a Big Sur compatible version of Print Studio Pro will become available?  Tried to download and install ver 2.2.4 and it will not install.  Anyone have a workaround to use PSP plugin with Lightroom and Photoshop? Thanks 

I have a Apple iMac with a Canon Pixma Pro 100

23 REPLIES 23

@jivemm wrote:

Right now I do not have PSP installed at all. I removed it all thinking a fresh install might fix the error message I was getting in Lightroom when trying to use it after installed Big Sur.

I perhaps don't need it it's just what I'm used to - I've never used Lightroom's inbuilt printing. Perhaps a silly thought but considered Canon's own software would provide the best results for printing with their own printers.

My biggest immediate issue with Lightroom's print module is it doesn't appear to have borderless printing with margins being a min 0.25 in. Just selecting paper size doesn't seem intuitive and PSP just made it all very easy to get quality prints in my experience.

Output print quality will be the same from any software that sends the same print data to the driver, be it PS or any other software.

What Lightroom offers is an optional output sharpening process that adjusts the sharpening in the print to reflect the media type. Matte papers, for example, tend to soften the image becasue of the surface texture. Output sharpening can corect for that. It is part of the three step sharpening approach "developed" by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe in the early days of digital photography and printing..

Screenshot 2020-12-27 061312.jpg

(5) Mastering Lightroom Classic CC - 31: Print Module - YouTube

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tman1966
Apprentice

It's April 2021. I recently purchased a new Mac (Big Sur running M1 chip) and Photoshop 22.3. I have a Pixma Pro 100. I have tried everything on this thread, including downloading from the Asia Canon download site for Print Studio Pro. It just does not work.

Just to be sure, which PSP files should I drag into the Photoshop Plug-ins folder? I want to be sure I'm doing this correctly. 

This is incredibly aggravating, and I went through something similar about 2 years ago when upgrading a Mac. This is just such a lousy customer expericne, and there is no excuse for a major company like Canon to be so far behind in developing printer drivers to work on Macs. This Mac OS came out last year. If they cannot support their users, then they should stop selling printers.

I'm giving this another week or so to read responses to this note and to see if I can make it work. Otherwise, I'm getting rid of the Canon printer and will buy something else (not Canon) that actually works so I can start making prints again.  

I gave up on this a long time ago. I have a MacBook Air with the latest BS OS and I only use Nikon ViewNX-i. If my print doesn't look the way I want it to then I throw it away and make the adjustments necessary (usually exposure and/or brightness at least) and print it again. However, I don't print that much so the cost is negligible. If you print a lot then you might care a lot more. However, I really do like this printer. Even if you leave it for a couple of weeks it prints perfectly first time. I think this printer is amazing value for money.

erel
Apprentice
Tman,
Is it only PSP that does not work?
I had what seems like a similar experience recently. I honestly think it’s bad timing. Basically my Mac updated and the new version of Mac OS was not technically supported by PSP.
I think I screwed up when I tried to reinstall PSP.
Anyway shortly thereafter Canon issued the current version which fixed my problem. More recently, I ended with some error message. If I recall it was complaining about a folder missing (probably due to Mac update). Sorry I use LR not PS.
All I had to do was go in finder and recreate the folder.
Mac HD > Library > Caches > Canon > PrintStudioPro > PrintStudioPro_LR_TEMP
click here to view the gallery
Announcements