cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 terrible disk printing color cast

deepbluejh
Contributor

I am getting a terrible yellow/orangecolor cast when printing disks on my Pro100 printer.  I'm using the latest Easy Photoprint EX software on Windows 7 64-bit to print on Verbatim AquaAce Glossy disks.  These disks printed beautifully on the Epson Artisan 730 printer I used to own.  Literally no color issues ever.  However on the Pro-100 prints them up borderline unusable.

All other prints from the printer on regular and photo paper turn out perfectly.  I've literally never owned a printer with output this good - except for the disks.  I'm using the "Printable Disk (recommended)" setting with print quality set to "high".

The Photoprint software has ZERO color controls so I am unable to correct the color cast in software.  What's going on here?  Do I have any other options to try and fix this?

23 REPLIES 23

curlyjoe
Contributor

Hi, Acoustica makes a very good app for printing direct to disc. They have a long trial period where you can use the software. I don't have a color cast issue with my Pro-100 but Acoustica's app is the only software I found that will print perfectly centered discs (after a little minor tweaking). Perhaps you could give it a try and see if you still get a color cast. Good luck. 

http://acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/index.htm

Hi, on second thought I was thinking, it also could be your particular blank printable disc's surface. I have two brands of printable discs: Taiyo Yuden which come out dark and colorful and Verbatim's which come out still pleasing to my eye but much lighter in color, more yellowish. Do you have any other printable disc brands to try to see if there's a difference?

Thanks for the response.  RIght now I only have one type of printable disk on hand.  Given the steller performance of the disk with a previous printer, I have difficultly accounting the colorcast to the disk by itself.  I feel like it's probably a software issue with the remote chance of a hardware issue.  I will try the software you linked and see if that fixes things.

Ok well the Aucoustica software printed the disks with the same yellowish cast.  I'm going to drop my Microcenter today and try another brand of disks.

I purchased another two sets of disks:

Windata Printable DVD+R

Philips White Inkjet printable BD-R

Both printing surfaces turned out to be vastly inferior to the Verbatim AquaAce.  Ignoring overall print quality, there was little difference in the color in any of the disks.

So now I'm back to square one.  Apparently I'm going to have to import each of the photos I print into Photoshop and shift them towards blue to help counteract the yellow shift applied by the printer.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The fact you paper prints look great.  And you tried two different brands of DVD's with the same results tells us something.

The printer and the computer is working OK.  There is somethign else that is awry.  Some setting is worng.  With out knowing your complete process it is not possibile to pin point it here.  More info from you as to what you actually do is needed.

Exactly what you do!  Smiley Frustrated

Switching disks is not likely to help.  You don't need the 'High' quality seting as 'Standard' works well..

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, I installed the software off the Pixma Pro-100 CD and attempted to print CDs using the given software and the default settings.  I'm printing photograph based images onto high quality DVD-R disks.  I'm really not doing anything unusual or fancy here.  I just can't figure out how to get a good looking disk out of this printer.  This is especially perplexing given how great the paper prints look.

What other information is needed?

OK you get to this point?

1.jpg

How do you get there?  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Correct, I get to that point, then I click "Print Settings" and arrive at the following screen, then I print.

disk.JPG

Announcements