cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 terrible disk printing color cast

deepbluejh
Contributor

I am getting a terrible yellow/orangecolor cast when printing disks on my Pro100 printer.  I'm using the latest Easy Photoprint EX software on Windows 7 64-bit to print on Verbatim AquaAce Glossy disks.  These disks printed beautifully on the Epson Artisan 730 printer I used to own.  Literally no color issues ever.  However on the Pro-100 prints them up borderline unusable.

All other prints from the printer on regular and photo paper turn out perfectly.  I've literally never owned a printer with output this good - except for the disks.  I'm using the "Printable Disk (recommended)" setting with print quality set to "high".

The Photoprint software has ZERO color controls so I am unable to correct the color cast in software.  What's going on here?  Do I have any other options to try and fix this?

23 REPLIES 23

Years later, I know, but I have to chime in to say same here.  I've tried both My Image Garden and the Acoustica software.  There's just this terrible yellow cast over everything.  Most noticeable with bright reds, which end up being this orangeish ruddy brown.  But also whites/greys are yellowy, blues are greenish.  The printer does not do this on regular paper or photo paper.  It's something that only kicks in when printing discs.  It's not a subtle difference, it's basically unusable as the OP said.  I've gone into the printer driver settings and tried to set it to always preview before printing (it doesn't), as well as setting color correction to None under the manual color adjustment setting.  I think it's ignoring all that when it prints to the disc tray.

I happen to have the glossy PlexDisc discs, but it does the same thing on the Verbatim matte discs.  It just looks terrible.

There's got to be something I can do to override whatever color adjustment it's trying to do when I print to the disc tray!  As another user said, they tried cutting photo paper into a disc shape and got the same issue.

I finally got something to *affect* the color output, though not for the better. Choosing the media type "Printable disc (others)" creates the same color issue, but the image is overall much paler. It's causing me to believe that the Media Type is the issue, and something about that media type is overriding the default color output. Maybe this media type assumes you're printing on those silver printable discs, rather than the white printable or white glossy printable discs, and is trying to do some color correction for that or something. I can't see a way with the PRO 100 to create a custom media type, I downloaded the Media Configuration Tool, but that doesn't seem to work with this printer.

Here's another person with a similar problem. I've noticed the washed out blacks in addition to the other color issue. This person is also mentioning that they think the problem is something going on with the Media Type. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3891193

Ok, so I may have a hint at what to do about this -- was able to at least marginally improve picture quality. Use Acoustica just because it lets you get to printer preferences from the print dialog. Then go to the "main" tab, and turn on print preview (probably not necessary, but in my case it *proves* that the changes you're making on this tab are affecting the cd/dvd print -- when printing through My Image Garden you know that your changes have no effect because you get no print preview), and then I selected print quality custom 1-fine, but the most important part is probably this -- select manual for color intensity, then click set, click on the matching tab, and then select NONE. My understanding is that this overrides the settings for media types. I think this is the key. I'm still testing, but this seemed to dramatically lower the yellow cast over the image and improve reds. You can see on this same screen that there are other color adjustments which I haven't tested yet, but will probably actually work, now that you're successfully overriding what the printer wants to do when printing to the disc tray.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements