cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 borderless problem

hkerns503
Contributor

I bought 8x12 paper so I can compose in camera and not have to crop. I saved a custom 8x12. It's not letting me print borderless. There isnt an option and even when I drag the edges out there is still a border when printed. How can i fix this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can't "fix" it because it's not "broken".

The driver doesn't allow borderless printing on custom sizes.  That is because there are sponges on the printer that absorb any overspray from borderless printing since the ink is sprayed beyond the paper size (to ensure full coverage). Since custom sizes can be anything the printer would be spraying ink all over the insides.

The closest single image solution would be 11x17 paper.

If you are printing more that one image, and if your printing software has the feature, you could print two images on 13x19 paper. That would be an efficient use of paper.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can't "fix" it because it's not "broken".

The driver doesn't allow borderless printing on custom sizes.  That is because there are sponges on the printer that absorb any overspray from borderless printing since the ink is sprayed beyond the paper size (to ensure full coverage). Since custom sizes can be anything the printer would be spraying ink all over the insides.

The closest single image solution would be 11x17 paper.

If you are printing more that one image, and if your printing software has the feature, you could print two images on 13x19 paper. That would be an efficient use of paper.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I feel really stupid right now. So I could have just went with the 9x13? Would it be a similar margin? Thank you so much. Ive been trying to figure this out for 3 days.. 

Also I see you own the same printer. Do you know where I can find info on how many prints I can make per ink package purchase? Do you find it's really more expensive than just printing somewhere reputable?

I like that I can instantly print once I buy a calibrator.. but if its more expensive than it might not be worth it. 

Do you have any recommendations for matte paper compatible with this printer?

Don't feel like you missed something, the requirements for borderless are easy to get confused about, since they are only indirectly shown.

When you select Borderless printing and use the paper size dropdown 1. there is no entry for Custom Sizes and 2. only certain paper sizes are shown.

Screenshot 2021-05-02 180741.jpg

The best info relative to ink used per print that I have seen is available on the Red River Paper website.

I can't link to it directly becasue of forum guidleines, but it is:

redrivercatalog-dot-com cost of inkjet printing

While the best printing results will come from a calibrated workflow, depending on your monitor (some have preset profiles for sRGB and Adobe RGB) you may be close.

Download and print the test image for the following website:

Printing Insights #49 (outbackphoto.com)

Open the image in your photo software. Do not make any adjustments to the image, regardless of how it looks onscreen.

You should get a very good print with correct colors and brightness if your printer is working OK. If not, you need to address the printer problems.

Once you get a good print compare it to your monitor. A frequent problem is a too bright monitor. If so, reduce brightness.

Then see how close your monitor is to the print.

I print because I like to, and it lets me carry the image to its final result all by myself. I don't pay attention to the cost. I use only Canon OEM inks; never tried third party inks.

I think most folks will tell you don't get into self-printing to save money.

Depending on your computer operating system you can download a printer manual from the Canon site.

If you can't, here is a link to a web version:

Canon : PIXMA Manuals - PRO-100S series -

Canon has an excellent Photo Paper Pro Matte paper. Third paper providers like Canson, Red River, Hahnemuehle and Moab also have good matte papers.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of it. I truly appreciate it.. it helps me tremendously

Announcements