cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing vertically with Studio pro on the Canon PRO-100

Guy1
Contributor

HI !

I have no problem printing in landscape mode but when I try to print in portrait mode I lose a good part of my image.

Thanks for your help

21 REPLIES 21

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'll try those options. I work with Canon RAW files or TIFF files if I used an external editor.

What's your experience/comfort level printing from Lightroom?

PSP doesn't do anything you can't do in LR. It's advantage is that PSP will handle the necessary "switches" you need to configure to print from LR. But they aren't hard to do yourself. You just need to be sure that when you go to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners that you aren't working with the Bonjour version of the canon Pro-100.

I've played with PSP because i wanted to see what it could do, but now I don't use it for printing. I work right from LR.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Capture d’écran 2017-04-02 à 15.30.00.pngCapture d’écran 2017-04-02 à 15.30.10.png

Hi 

I have sent you my two images. The photo was taken vertically but there is always a problem if I try to print portrait style since PSP tends to default to lanscape mode. Same thing if I take a photo Landscape and try to print it portrait.

I am not very familiar wioth printing in LR since PSP is working well for me instead.

Sorry for the French in the images as I work in that language.

Do you think is it better for me to print directly from LR ? What is the best course to follow on the Internet ?

Thanks for all your help.

Are you trying to print borderless?

There are two adjustments in PSP to look at. One controls the paper orientation - Portrait or Landscape. Its on the right above the thumbnail with an A.

The other rotates the image. Its on lthe left above the thumbnail and it has a righthand arrow.

I can reproduce your error by selecting borderless and rotating an image 90 degrees in the view.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes I always print bordeless.

That might be the issue then. If you have a mismatch between the paper size and then image size/aspect ratio and are printing with a border the image will always fit, but the borders change. If you are printing borderless the printer will enlarge the image so that the entire paper is covered; in that case you will lsoe some image if the two ratios are different.

Try two tests: 1. rotate the image 90 degrees using the left icon.  2. select borderedx1 in the layout and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Left icon ?

The two icons I discussed in Message 14 above. I highlighted them below:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks so much.

I will try and get back to you.

Thanks again

I think this is what you are seeing:

Image 1 - bordered image

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 9.10.43 AM.jpg

Image 2 - same image rotated 90 degrees using what I labeled the "left icon".

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 9.10.52 AM.jpg

See how the whole image is there but the margins are much different.

Image 3 - Image 2 changed to "Borderless"

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 9.11.04 AM.jpg

Notice how the image was expanded to cover the whole page, but because of the difference between image aspect ratio and paper aspect ratio the image has been cropped.

If you want to print borderless I suggest you start bordered and get your image to almost fill the paper with a border and then switch to borderless.

Here is image 1 converted to borderless - image the same, just a little larger.

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 9.22.28 AM.jpg

I'm supposing you have a reason to print borderless (instead of narrow border and trimming, but as you know, borderless oversprays the print so you are spraying ink over the inside of your printer.

Hope I helped you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements