cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-100 True B&W Prints

blumb
Contributor

Hello,

I just received my PRO-100 printer and I am trying to print a "true" black and white print. The two test prints I have created have a color cast to them and I cannot get rid of it.

I received a test print from Canon of the same image printed using the Canon PRO-1. It is a truly stunning print. The PRO-1 is currently out of my price range, hopefully that will change in the future, but for now I have the PRO-100. I understand the differences between DYE and Pigment but the issue isn't there. The issue seems to be that I just cannot turn off color from being introduced onto the final print.

The image was multiple color raw files combined into an HDR image, then converted to B&W. I have tried using LR4 to print the image with color correction set to none on the printer driver, and have also tried using the "Black and white" button within the Canon PRO-100 print dialog.

Questions are:

Is the PRO-100 Capable of utilizing just the black, grey, and light grey inks to produce a "Black and White" Print?

If it is, how is this accomplished?

My older Pixma Pro9000 printed just using the black cartridge; it at least printed a black and white print without any color cast.

Thank you.

54 REPLIES 54

"I sent the same image to Canon to have it tested on the PRO-1 and the PRO-100 and it was printed on Ilford Galleria Gold silk Paper, using their "Try my print" service.

The print from the PRO-1 is nothing short of amazing; beautiful tonality, crisp detail, and a true monochrome print.

The print from the PRO-100 is good but not as crisp, and with a slight color cast, towards green I would say."

I sent photos in as well to try the Pro-10 and Pro-1 printers by Canon (try my print). I was tempted to do B+W ones, as I knew the top two had a reputation as being somewhat better at B+W, but I did a color portrait instead. What I noticed, apart from them all looking roughly similar, was that there was a warmish, greenish color cast to the prints. It became very noticeable when I held the print up to my calibrated screen. So I printed the same print on my Pro-100. Mine looked substatially better, as it was a dead on match to my monitor. The same Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl was used for all three (mine included). I used the printer profile provided by Ilford. Trying to figure this out, I reread the letter that accompanied the photos, and on one, the settings said color management was set to "auto" (the other didn't mention either way). So they color managed my already perfect print/file, and in doing so, threw off the color balance. I'm amazed they send them out this way since they are trying to demo the printers and the level of expertise for those sending in photos is probably pretty high, meaning they have already color balanced the photo before sending it in and need no further help from some automated process.

Anyhow, despite not being as expert as most there, my opinion is that the problems experienced here are related to letting the printer in some small way manage the color, and that would include checking that box for B+W. Why check that box if the monitor is calibrated and the correct printer/paper profile is used? If calibrations are all correct, then the print should look like the screen, so why mess with what should already be correct? 

I generally use Lightroom as I find their color management most intuitive and simplified.

I've read either on DPR or FM that some of the Canon profiles may not be dead on accurate as some other paper manufacturers, but that was anecdotes online, not verified by me. If the profiles are off, particularly if they are known to be off in the community, then use a device like the Color Munki Photo to make custom profiles that do work.

Maybe worth repeating, maybe everybody knows, but the Pro-100 uses all the cartridges, color and b&w, to print monochrome (b&w) prints.  One may think that since it has the dedicated b&w cartridges, it would not need help from the color inks.

But it does.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've had this printer now for about 9 months. Love the color prints! If you want it for B&W I would look elsewhere. I'm actually thinking about getting a cheap epson printer and using an MIS greyscale ink set just for BW. I have never had a truly neutral print from this printer (Believe me I've tried all the above on several different papers) It gets real close and under artificial lighting they look OK, but as soon as I put it in sunlight, there comes the green tinge...

I know this is an old thread...I have a pro 100...and have struggled too with B&W prints...I've used pattern print and can get close, but hit and miss....almost always a color cast....I have some ink on order so can't test this...but...

I also have a canon pixma ip100 portable photo printer...I was trying to get an 8x10 B&W to print on this...I've used photoshop, print studio for a long time...so I understand colors, pattern prints, icc etc..

so this am, trying to get a B&W on my little ip100 and getting the std color cast decided to search again for the thousandth time, I found a post from canon that said to get only the black ink to print and avoid color casts on this printer for a B&W photo regardless of paper, you must choose "plain paper" and grayscale...choose any other type paper and grayscale and the colors will be used/added...I did this and for the first time on this little printer it came out perfect...looks like a true B&W print...If I chose the canon semi gloss photo paper, which I am using, instead of the plain paper option, I get the cast... 

I know in print studio pro there is a B&W option (vs. ICC etc) and also a plain paper option in the drop down...but I don't have ink now for my pro-100 to test it....I will...someone may want to try this...

@jpetep I have just tried this in Print Studio Pro and the result is awful. B&W still comes out as sepia, but now I have the addition of mapping and lines over the image. All the glowing Amazon reviews about how this printer prints beautiful B&Ws with no toning. Either written by colourblind people or Canon employees. So frustrating. 

yes, I've found I had to do a pattern print for a B&W print with the various papers I use, and pick the one with the settings I like for the stock being used...I can at least get very close to what I want...But unlike a color print, what is on screen never matches what is printed when B&W.

This forum is kind of dead. I suggest you go to the dpreview.com Printers and Printing forum where it's very active and lots of Pro-100 users. [Removed link per Forum Guidelines]

grapegeek
Contributor
I've fiddled with this since I got this printer and have never gotten true B/W prints but really close. What I've found is that it's really paper dependent. Actually the best paper for me was the cheap glossy Costco professional photo paper. A tad sepia but way better than the greenish tint I was getting on canon papers

I repeat, ...

"As to B&W printing, it looks like the paper choice has a good deal to do with the results. And it looks like sRGB and Adobe RGB has a great deal to do with the printing, too. Try everything as what works for some may not work for you or vice versa."

Call Red River Paper and ask them for their best options for B&W printing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

grapegeek
Contributor

I know I've dredged up an old thread, but I have to say I never really sat down and try to get this **bleep** printer to print really good BW photos. I spent all day yesterday finally going through some threads and I tried two things that made a huge difference. Moving everything to Adobe RGB and also in the printer dialog, under the Main tab and then Color/Intensity set to Manual and then set Matching to "None". That has made a huge difference in both my BW and color pictures. I have a calibrated monitor and on my old Epson I didn't have these issues, but finally I think I have it all nailed down... gawd it's been a long time battling with this printer!!!!

Announcements