cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magenta Cast on New Pixma Pro 100

lwlandy
Contributor

I noticed a strong Magenta cast to my prints that have any sort of magenta content.  Most noticeably on Sunsets which all come out red rather than Orange.  I started looking for solutions and cannot believe how prevalent this issue is with Padma Pro Printers??

Surely there is something fundamentally wrong here?  Either many hundreds of people don’t know how to follow instructions or there are driver/SW issues that needs to be addressed.  I can find hundreds of reports of this across various models, with no resolution posted and Canon apparently unable to offer anything other than workarounds.  (I will be calling them soon to confirm). It’s always Magenta too..

I scoured the web for a solution and have tried all combination of suggestions, even the ones that quite frankly seem ridiculous, like do not preview the print first as this will screw it up?? If that is the case then that is a bug, surely.

If anyone can offer any suggestions for a way to resolve that does not include all previously tried remedies:  Using Canon paper, Inks and ICC Profiles.  Turn off all Printer color management (Ironically, the only way I can get the printer to print anything like it should color wise, is to turn the Printer color management on.)

From tests I can see that the printer is being told to print Magenta, See below Print preview of a sunset.  So I am sure the printer is fine, I just need to get the SW to drive it correctly.

Canon Pixma Pro 100, Canon Ink, Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss,

Windows 8.1, LR 5.7 PS CS5.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First, you must not let the printer set anything.  Turn off every bit off control it has.  You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab.  Do you know how?  I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor handle all the settings and color matching.  You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing.  Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is off.  If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps.  However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with.  You don't need any fancy extra add-ons to do this.  No additional sortware or gadgets, etc.

But you must get the grey-scale very close.  You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen.  Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level.  One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you saw it.  It isn't possibile as all colors and adjustments effect all others.  My goal is to get the skin tones right.  That is what people notice most. Remeber you are dealing with two different disciplines here.  One is colored light and the other is colored dyes.  They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print darker than what I see on the monitor (typical).  So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/2 to one stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case.  It also prints with a slightly warn tone.  Most of the time, with protraits especially, this if OK but sometimes it is not.  In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

All the Canon photo printers I have ever seen have this warm/magenta cast.  Canon engineers must prefer this look.  It can not be changed.  You need to "fix" it in post.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper untill you get good with the printer.  Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important though is, use the USB connection until everything is right.  You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time.  Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go.  Use a real printer USB cable.  Not just any old USB cable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

kiscsillag - what software are you printing from?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tony,

You turn off printer control in the Canon software.  Not in PS.  But make sure that you let PS manage printing. Not the printer.

100-1.jpg

100-1a.jpg

100-2.jpg

100-3.jpg

100-5.jpg

100-6.jpg

EB

I'm having this same problem but with a PIXMA MG6320 on a mac running OSX. The Canon My Printer Software does seem to exist for mac. So how would I go about fixing this problem?

Tony,

"It seems that it's the profile itself that is turning the image purple."

It is most important you use the correct paper profile.  Either use Canon papers exclusively until you get things right or use a paper like Red River that supplies profiles for their paper.  Once you see how the printer reacts, then you can try different things.

EB

Thanks for the info, we tried all these things, even alligned the head and it still  does what it wants....Magenta.  If I could ressurect my old pixma I would but i cant get the head to move.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
You are not going to get true B&W on the Pro-100. It uses all the cartridges to produce B&W. There is going to be a certain tint.
EB

jepan513
Apprentice

I know there are many variables that can cause the magenta cast on images, but I was able to solve my issue and I wanted to share what worked for me. I own 2 of these printers, I have one at home and one at work. The images I was printing at work started having a magenta cast, even though I had previosly printed them with no problems. I tried multiple color and media settings as well as ICC profiles, but nothing worked. I then printed the images at home using the same settings and I didn't have a problem. The only difference was at home I used wifi to print and at work I had started to use the USB connection because the printer not being able to communicate with my computer was becoming a regular occurence. When I set up the connection at work I went into system preferences (I use a mac both home and at work) and clicked on printers and scanners and added the printer this way. My previous connection at work as well as my connection at home were set up using Canon's IJ Network Tool. Once I realized this was the only difference I deleted my work printer and then added it back using the IJ Netework Tool and the magenta cast is now gone! I know how much frustration this has caused me so I thought I would share.I hope this information is able to help someone.

BRO!!!!!

If you were in front of me I would kiss you.  HOLY COW!  I have been trying to fix this for over 3 months. So much paper and ink and time has been exhausted trying to get this printer to make accurate photos.  I was literally on the verge of giving up after reading about 50 forums last night when BAM your post came up.  The image is dead on accurate now.

I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Right. If you add the printer without using the Canon tool you generally get the Bonjour version of the driver which has very limited capability.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I had exactly the same problem with the magenta cast. I had my printer connected to a switch via Ethernet. Deleting the printer in Windows, reinstalling it via USB with Canon IJ Network Too helped. No more magenta cast.

This thread solved my day! In 90 minutes a customer comes to pick up prints worth $ 500... Thanks!

Announcements