cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a new Pixma Pro-100. My prints are dark and the colors way off.

YieldPrez
Apprentice

Prints are much darker than on screen and the colors are reddish and muddy.  I am using PS CC 2015 with Canon Print Studio Pro.  Also tried letting the printer drive the color matching.  Tried printing from Apple's Photos.  Tried with and without ICC profiles.  Tried Canon and Red River papers.  All the same.  Dark and reddish cast.  Canon support was useless.

I have calibrated the iMac monitor using Apples supplied tool.  I have a Spyder2 which will not work with current OS.  Prints are so far off in both color and brightness that I doubt it is the monitor.  Also, the same computer did fine with other Canon printers.

Help!

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Review this and then check back. Do a nozzle check. 

https://luminous-landscape.com/why-are-my-prints-too-dark/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks jrhoffman75 for your suggestions.  I've done the nozzle check already.  And this is not just a question of a bit too dark. The prints are way too dark.  And the colors are not even close.  But the kicker is that the same iMac was printing beautifully on a Canon Pixma iP8720 and the colors where spot on.  I am in a different location but the lighting is pretty much the same and the results are drastically different.

It almost feels like somehow the driver is processing both the printer's color matching and Photoshop's, if that is even possible.

Double profiling is a possibility. Download and install latest version of Canon Print Studio Pro and then use that to print your image.

Also, download the test image in the link I sent you, open the file in Preview and then print it from Preview - bypass Photoshop.

When you installed the printer did you select the IJ Printer Driver or the Bonjour printer driver - you want IJ driver.

I print to a PRO-100 from my MacBook Air; it creates excellent prints, so i know we can get there for you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not a Mac user but I read lots of posts from guys that have problems printing from a Mac.  If I were you I would try this.

Just use PS and don't add any other software in the process. Turn off all control the printer has with the prints.  Turn the brightness/contrast down on your monitor. Get the grey-scale correct and forget the rest.  Hope this will work for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am also having the problem with my Pixma Pro 100 printing way too dark from my Mac.  But the problem is definitely not my monitor.  I am not trying to match the rpints to what I see on my monitorm but rather to previous prints from my old H&P.  I am trying to print a B&W landscape, and the Canon prints so dark many important details are lost.

I am printing from Photoshop CC and have PS controlling the printing.

Any suggestions?

JK

First, be sure that you have the Canon IJ series printer installed, not the AirPrint printer.

Check this in System Preferences-> Printers & Scanners.

When this is correct, download an print this test imagee. Do not make any adjustments, regardless of how it looks on screen.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

Let me know how the print looks.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

JR,

That did it!  It was set to Air Print and changing that made all the ifference.  Thanks a lot!

JK

"I am trying to print a B&W landscape,..."

Another very important thing with B&W is the paper. Makes sure you have a paper that does B&W well. Also make sure PS handles all the management not the printer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you e.  I am using thes ame paper as my original print which I am trying to match.  But paper is something I have traditionally not been to careful about but I hope to be in the fiutre.

JJK

Announcements