cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my computer and printer to sync colors?

oceans02
Contributor

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi oceans02,

Because monitors display pictures with  RGB colorspace and printers use a CMYK colorspace, the two will always be a little different, and how precise you have to be will effect how complex it is to get the pritner to match waht you see on the screen.  The simplest answer I can give would be to make sure that your monitor has been properly calibrated, make sure you are using professional Photo Editing software, and you are using an ICC profile that has either been calibrated specifically for your paper and printer with a calibration tool, or if you don't have access to a calibration tool, make sure you use a papr that has an ICC profile that you can download for the Pr9000 Mark II.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

WahoGT
Enthusiast
Quick answer:
1) Calibrate your screen (I use a Spyder 3 Pro)
2) Use Canon brand inks (or you have to do printer calibration as well)
3) Download the appropriate color profiles for your printer/paper combination (if you're using an obscure paper and none are available, you must use a printer calibrator device like a ColorMunki to make a custom profile). Soft proof your image with the appropriate profile on your screen prior to printing. This will be a pretty accurate representation of how your colors will print. Printers cannot print the full color range seen on a monitor, so this is important.
4) Turn color management OFF on your printer (on the Pro 9000 mk II this isn't the easiest to find. Turn color intensity to manual, click "set", click the second tab at the top, and choose "none" for color management). Let your software manage colors, using the appropriate paper profile.
5) Print and be happy!

You have to be in the printing business to justify a Color Munki. I do some printing to sell but most clients today want DVD's. So like I advised, stay with Canon brand products for your Canon printer and it will print fine.Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

16 REPLIES 16

Naomi
Enthusiast

Hi oceans02!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know which Canon printer you own. That way, our Canon Forum members and our Subject Matter Experts will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your model.

Thanks!

It is a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II

Hi oceans02,

Because monitors display pictures with  RGB colorspace and printers use a CMYK colorspace, the two will always be a little different, and how precise you have to be will effect how complex it is to get the pritner to match waht you see on the screen.  The simplest answer I can give would be to make sure that your monitor has been properly calibrated, make sure you are using professional Photo Editing software, and you are using an ICC profile that has either been calibrated specifically for your paper and printer with a calibration tool, or if you don't have access to a calibration tool, make sure you use a papr that has an ICC profile that you can download for the Pr9000 Mark II.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No matter what anybody tells you, it may be impossible to get all the colors to match. Try for great skin tones as that is what most people look at. Second your brightness and contrast needs to be the same on both monitor and printer. The colors may be acceptable when they are correct.

EB

WahoGT
Enthusiast
Quick answer:
1) Calibrate your screen (I use a Spyder 3 Pro)
2) Use Canon brand inks (or you have to do printer calibration as well)
3) Download the appropriate color profiles for your printer/paper combination (if you're using an obscure paper and none are available, you must use a printer calibrator device like a ColorMunki to make a custom profile). Soft proof your image with the appropriate profile on your screen prior to printing. This will be a pretty accurate representation of how your colors will print. Printers cannot print the full color range seen on a monitor, so this is important.
4) Turn color management OFF on your printer (on the Pro 9000 mk II this isn't the easiest to find. Turn color intensity to manual, click "set", click the second tab at the top, and choose "none" for color management). Let your software manage colors, using the appropriate paper profile.
5) Print and be happy!

Thank you very much, I guess I will have to step up and pay full bore for Canon ink.

You can try it with 3rd party inks, but the printer profiles are based off of Canon inks, and the results might not match perfectly. There may be other ink companies out there with profiles, but I've never seen any.
If its significantly cheaper, and you do a lot of printing, a ColorMunki would pay for itself after a while. Some of their models allow you to do custom monitor and printer profiles for non-standard ink/paper combinations.
Just another option to get to the same endpoint.

Another issue to think about... I do trust Canon inks more than 3rd party inks as far as longevity is concerned. You want the print to look just as good many years down the road as it does today, and using quality ink/paper and choosing your display location appropriately (no direct sunlight, etc) will give you the best chance of that. If its just printing snapshots, then who cares, but if its a special photo you want to hand down to your kids and grand kids... Then I'm using Canon ink on a high quality paper.

Thanks again, I use either Canon or red river paper.

Not only is it a good idea to use Canon brand inks, actually mandatory, but I use Canon brand papers almost exclusively. They make things more easy and they are top notch.Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements