cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with color adjustment for Canon Pixma pro 100

Thisishard1
Apprentice
Just purchased a new Canon Pixma Pro-100 and cannot get accurate colors to print. I know that the images will not appear exactly the same as those on my computer but the yellows are a faded washed out dull color and the blues are terribly faded as well. All the photos I am printing appear to be aged with no vivid colors. I am on a Mac and have read that taking off the settings from the printer may help but I have no idea how to go about doing so! I am not printing from the image garden but from an app of my choice but the color image is just as dull. Any help on how to take off the settings from the printer with a Mac would be most appreciated!! And if anyone has had this issue with prints appearing yellow and aged then please let me know how y’all remedied it! Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Thisishard1
Apprentice
Just purchased a new Canon Pixma Pro-100 and cannot get accurate colors to print. I know that the images will not appear exactly the same as those on my computer but the yellows are a faded washed out dull color and the blues are terribly faded as well. All the photos I am printing appear to be aged with no vivid colors. I am on a Mac and have read that taking off the settings from the printer may help but I have no idea how to go about doing so! I am not printing from the image garden but from an app of my choice but the color image is just as dull. Any help on how to take off the settings from the printer with a Mac would be most appreciated!! And if anyone has had this issue with prints appearing yellow and aged then please let me know how y’all remedied it! Thanks

Hi Thisishard1,

In order to better assist you, allow me to ask a few questions:

• Which program are you printing from?
  • If you are using Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom, have you installed the Print Studio Pro Plug-in?
  • What type of paper are you using?
  • Are you using an ICC profile for that paper?

I look forward to your reply. 

Have you verified that you are printing on correct side of paper?

Once we know your printing pplication we will be able to assist you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your photo printing application likely has a color-profile section ... as does the default Mac print dialog box.

Your choices are to do nothing and let the printer handle the color (which probably would result in fairly decent, but not perfect, looking color.)

You also have the choice of having your print application manage the color profile selecction.

Lastly, you also have the choice of having the Mac's default print system manage the color profile selection.

It is very imporatant that whatever choice you pick... you only pick ONE place to do manage the color (if you told your print app to manage color, and also told the mac's print dialog to manage the color, then you'd end up doubly-applying the color profile correction... which would result in bad color (it would be like a person who needs glasses to correct their vision... wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time...  the second pair take the correction too far and you end up with a bad result.)

Lastly, there's the question of how you select the print profile.  Different types of paper absorb the inks differently... you have to select the correct type of paper for the print.  Basically a "profile" is a combination of the printer + ink type + paper combination.  Since this is a "new" Canon printer, you're probably printing using Canon's factory ink (just be aware that most downloadable profiles you can get either from Canon or from 3rd party paper vendors are typically assuming the use of Canon ink and likely wont be valid if you try 3rd party ink or refill your inks.)

Canon has downloadable print profiles for their own papers as well as downloadable profiles for several popular 3rd party papers (that even though it's not Canon paper, they were nice enough to make them.)

Go to this URL to download Canon's 3rd party profiles:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers...

You are looking for this:

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 11.29.55 AM.png

If you don't see this choice on the software download list, change your OS type (at the top of the list) to macOS Sierra v10.12 (instead of High Sierra).  The ICC profiles are not os-specific but Canon hasn't updated their list to reflect this download for 10.13.

Also, make sure you've installed Canon Print Studio Pro (even if you never plan to use it) as I recall that's how I got the ICC proiles for all of the Canon papers.  

The profiles themselves are installed to the operating system... not to any specific application.  This means that once you install them, any application can use them.

There is one exception... there are a couple of folders where the mac will look for ICC profiles.  One of them is under:

/Users/<your_username>/Libary/ColorSync/Profiles

The profiles in THAT folder are only visible to you (since they are installed in your user account ... if more than one user account exists on your mac).  

There is also:

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

That folder is meant for any 3rd party profiles that are installed but that should be available for use by any user of the computer (not limited to any specific user).

And also:

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Technically the "System" version of the folder is meant to hold files that were supplied by the OS vendor (Apple) so that you can differentiate between the things that came with the mac, vs stuff that was installed by a 3rd party.  But I find that a lot of 3rd parties violate that rule so you end up finding them in both places.

In any case, when you print, any application that needs to look for color profiles will actually look in all three places and present you with the combined list.

If you use an application that supports the Canon Print Studio Pro plug-in then you can use Print Studio Pro to tweak the printer's behavior... much in the way that you can adjust how an image appears on-screen (brighten it, darken it, increase or decrease color saturation, etc.) you can do this specific to the print output.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements