cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Hue on a BW print

fotoman
Contributor

I have a Pixma Pro 9000 MK II that prints great color photos.  However, no matter what I try my BW prints seem to have a green hue to them.

I am using Canon inks and Canon  Photo Paper Plus Glossy II.  Can anyone suggest a solution or is it pointless to try to print a good BW print with this printer.

As a test I compared the image to a BW print of the same at CVS.  No green hue plus it printed the blacks and whites with more contrast.

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a result of "metamerism".  Please google it.  Basically color inkjet printers use all available colors to print black, which results in a imbalance of CYMK which subsequently results in some cast when viewing under certain lighting conditions.    

If you have the option to specify black ink only it should use only the black ink in varying degree to print black, gray and lighter tones.  A nozzle check may also be a good idea.  I don't shoot or print B&W (today), I did 30 yrs ago when I took photography in school and learned how to develop film and print in a darkroom.  Things have changed.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, Rick. I will look into the black only" option. I had checked the nozzles and they are okay.
Like you, I've done my time in the chemical darkroom and agree that things have changed. IMHO, for the best.

Do you think checking the Grayscale box will be the same as using black ink only?

Hi fotoman,

While grayscale will change the picture to black and white, it wont use just the black cartridge only. It will use a combination of the inks to make the picture black and white.

So, how do I solve this green hue issue I'm getting on my black and white prints?  Color printing is spot on but no matter what I do I still get this slight greenish hue on my black and white prints.

Does your driver give the option to print a pattern test print?

2019-03-26.png

I don't use that paper, but I have found that that when I use third party paper that recommends us the Photo paper Plus Glossy II profile I get better results when I select Photo Paper Pro Platinum media type/profile. Maybe give that a try as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No John, it doesn't. However, I am using Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II. Not a third party paper.

I understood that. But give Platinum Pro setting a try.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I will. BTW, for some reason that profile comes up as the default in Adobe Photoshop Elements print menu.
Announcements