cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Return Pro-200 in Exchange for/Upgrade to ImagePROGRAF Pro-300 (Given Circumstances)?

Hermi14
Apprentice

Hello. I began drawing using alcohol markers recently, producing a fair volume of small fine art pieces on paper. Since I know that even alcohol markers are not archival quality, I started getting the works scanned and printed using archival inks and paper at the local photography shop. The gentleman behind the counter is extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable and basically knows my life story (JK but we talk a lot). When I realized I was wasting expensive Copic marker ink by using a heavy Bristol paper and I switched to a coated marker paper, I told him that and he correspondingly started printing on a similarly lighter-weight paper to better approximate the originals. Most of my pieces are 9"X12" which my home PIXMA can't scan nor print even if it could use archival inks.

Yesterday morning I researched wide-format printers until my eyes glazed over and settled on the Pro-300. I hadn't ordered it from Amazon yet when I went down to drop some more pieces off for scanning. I was telling the rep how I plan to buy the 300 and he said "or even the 200" and he pointed at the floor where there was a 200 sitting. I said "oh, I haven't even run across that one, what is the difference?" And he said the only difference is that it has one fewer color cartridge (the lightest gray I think), but it uses the same ink. We then discussed whether I could get good enough quality for my prints with the 200 and he thought I could. I ended up buying it from them instead of buying the 300 from Amazon. (I would have bought the 300 from them had we determined the 200 would not be high enough quality.)

Having no cable but being eager, I went ahead and printed one of the previous scans from my iphone. The print was a bit dark, but I was fairly confident that using a computer and and ICC with the right paper could fix that. (Keep in mind I am printing to duplicate original works, *not* to duplicate what I see on a screen. The photography shop was doing that to excellent effect. I honestly don't want to have to tweak anything on the computer. I am a SharePoint developer by day and want to draw in meatspace and use the computer only for reproduction of my work, not enhancement!)

<snip, snip>

This morning I discover the printer is NOT pigment based at all. 

I am furious. 

The shop is closed until Tuesday. 

I am sure this is some kind of karmic lesson. 

What can I do? I have literally printed only one image (besides the network configuration settings). 

I want the 300 but I assume they will give me a hassle if I request to return it. They're very accountable and above board and even compared the price they were giving me to <large company> and when they discovered <large company> is selling it below cost they said they will have to report <large photo company name withheld>. 

Suggestions welcome. 

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Hermi14 wrote:

Hello. I began drawing using alcohol markers recently, producing a fair volume of small fine art pieces on paper. Since I know that even alcohol markers are not archival quality, I started getting the works scanned and printed using archival inks and paper at the local photography shop. The gentleman behind the counter is extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable and basically knows my life story (JK but we talk a lot). When I realized I was wasting ink by using a heavy Bristol paper and I switched to a coated marker paper, I told him that and he correspondingly started printing on a similarly lighter-weight paper to better approximate the originals. Most of my pieces are 9"X12" which my home PIXMA can't scan nor print even if it could use archival inks.

Yesterday morning I researched wide-format printers until my eyes glazed over and settled on the Pro-300. I hadn't ordered it from Amazon yet when I went down to drop some more scans off. I was telling the rep how I plan to buy the 300 and he said "or even the 200" and he pointed at the floor where there was a 200 sitting. I said "oh, I haven't even run across that one, what is the difference?" And he said the only difference is that it has one fewer color cartridge (the lightest gray I think), but it uses the same ink. We then discussed whether I could get good enough quality for my prints with the 200 and he thought I could. I ended up buying it from them instead of buying the 300 from Amazon. (I would have bought the 300 from them had we determined the 200 would not be high enough quality.)

Having no cable but being eager, I went ahead and printed one of the previous scans from my iphone. The print was a bit dark, but I was fairly confident that using a computer and and ICC with the right paper could fix that. (Keep in mind I am printing to duplicate original works, *not* to duplicate what I see on a screen. The photography shop was doing that to excellent effect. I honestly don't want to have to tweak anything on the computer. I am a SharePoint developer by day and want to draw in meatspace and use the computer only for reproduction of my work, not enhancement!)

<snip, snip>

This morning I discover the printer is NOT pigment based at all. 

I am furious. 

The shop is closed until Tuesday. 

I am sure this is some kind of karmic lesson. 

What can I do? I have literally printed only one image (besides the network configuration settings). 

I want the 300 but I assume they will give me a hassle if I request to return it. They're very accountable and above board and even compared the price they were giving me to <large company> and when they discovered <large company> is selling it below cost they said they will have to report <large photo company name withheld>. 

Suggestions welcome. 

Welcome.

What level of "archival" do you require? Are your prints colorful or generally monochrome? What kind of paper would you be printing on?

As a class, pigment inks generally produce better prints on matte surface papers since the ink is not absorbed into the surface.

Dye inks are generally superior on glossy surface papers.

The Canon ChromaLife 100+ dye inks are very good from a life standpoint but wouldn't meet museum standards for archival quality.

If you absolutely need pigment inks and were misled by the sales person you should go bask to the store and require that they make the situation right. Was it a camera store or a "big box" department store like Best Buy or the like?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you for replying. My work is very colorful and is printed on a matte surface. The coating on marker paper is imperceptible to the touch and is not glossy at all. I want folks who purchase my prints to be confident that they will not fade under glass in 50 years. The store is not actually large--I may have mispoken--it is not a big box store but it is a local chain--yes, a camera store. Attaching an example of an iphone photo of my work (scan file sizes are too large). 

IMG_1786.jpeg

You need to speak with them then. Elevate to store management if necessary.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks so much! Now to wait until Tuesday. Patience is not a virtue of mine. 

Hermi14
Apprentice

He most definitely said it uses the same ink as the 300. There is no mistaking that. My bad for not distrusting what he said and Googling it while I was standing there, I guess. In fact if it had been a big box store and I had not already established trust in this guy I probably would have Googled just to confirm. But I didn't. 

Announcements