cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wired to wireless multiple times?

860usr
Apprentice

Hi:  this is for pixma mx860 multifunction (all-in-one).  Can I go back & forth between wired & wireless connectivity?  Problem is that we have 1 tower ethernet wired (only) in our c/s w2K nw, that prints fine that way.  Prob. #2 is that we have other wireless laptops that don't print unless connected wired  (cause the 860 doesn't do both wired/wireless at once, must be 1 or the other).  So I want to see if the printer will still work if I have the desktop go through the router which has wireless connectivity & does connect the server to the laptops that way.  But I need to know before changing the tower to connect wirelessly to the printer via the router, I can have the printer go back& forth wired/wireless as many times as necessary (for that tower, which doesn't have its own wireless card).  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Devin
Enthusiast

Hi 860usr!

I believe there is some confusion regarding the network connection of your PIXMA MX860.  You can always have one computer connected to the printer using a USB cable.  Thi will give you the fastest printing and scanning speeds.  The rest of your computers can connect through the network connection to the router.  While it is true that it can only be used through a wireless or wired ethernet connection at one time, this connection is to the router.  What this means is you can only have it connected to your router through either a wireless or wired ethernet connection.  Any computer connected to the router, whether through a wireless or wired ethernet connection, will be able to access the printer as long as the software is installed on each computer. If your printer is near your router, then I would recommend using a wired ethernet connection as it is direct and you do not need to worry about interference.  The default connection type is wireless.  If you wish to use a wired ethernet connection, please connect an ethernet cord from your printer to an open port on the router.  You would then need to make the following change from the operation panel:

1.  Press SETUP.

2.  Scroll to Device Settings, then press OK.

3.  Scroll to LAN Settings, then press OK.

4.  Scroll to Change wireless/wired, then press OK.

5.  Choose Wired LAN Active, then press OK.

6.  Press STOP/RESET to return to standby mode.

Thanks Devin: for you and any others replying - use of the USB cable is completely NOT convenient in our office setup. We have ALWAYS connected by ethernet cat5e. -My main question still remains unanswered: in others' actual experience, have you found that the MX860 goes back & forth easily between wired & wireless modes? -Thank you.

Hi 860usr,

I would not say that it is easy to go back and forth between wired and wireless because each time you do so, you would have to reinstall the software to configure it for the connection type you are using.  It is recommended that you pick the method that works best for you and stick with it.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements