cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Setup

beauchamp43
Contributor

Since I have owned MF731 it has frequently refused to print from computer and sometimes scan.  I saved the solution and go through all the deleting and installing every couple of months.  Enough is enough.  AlI I want to do is connect with a wired connection.  Hooked up LAN cable as per instructions.  No luck..  Any ideas?  Great when it works but seems to go south when evrything else is having problems.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

To receive assistance or more specific help , you'll need to supply more information.

Saying that you tried,but no luck doesn't tell us much I'm afraid.

The basics:

Assign the printer a static IP on your network.  One that doesn't change.

Remove, uninstall, restart and reinstall the printer as a TCP/IP printer.  Use its IP address (the one you specified above)

Don't rely on your router to give the printer the same IP after it hasn't been used, has been turned off or has gone to sleep for extended periods of time.  You computer will always try to sent print jobs to the last "place' that worked.  If this has changed, printing will fail.

Know your network, control the environment. Using a static destination (one that doesn't change) will ensure persistency and reliable results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

To receive assistance or more specific help , you'll need to supply more information.

Saying that you tried,but no luck doesn't tell us much I'm afraid.

The basics:

Assign the printer a static IP on your network.  One that doesn't change.

Remove, uninstall, restart and reinstall the printer as a TCP/IP printer.  Use its IP address (the one you specified above)

Don't rely on your router to give the printer the same IP after it hasn't been used, has been turned off or has gone to sleep for extended periods of time.  You computer will always try to sent print jobs to the last "place' that worked.  If this has changed, printing will fail.

Know your network, control the environment. Using a static destination (one that doesn't change) will ensure persistency and reliable results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the help.  This fixed things.  With any luck the software will stop going south every now and then.

Cheers.  I'm glad it helped.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements