cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting a PowerShot SX702 HS to a wireless network

Tyler
Apprentice

I have been trying to connect my dad's new PowerShot SX720 HS camera to the wireless network and have been experiencing connection issues.

Before I attempted this, I had installed the CameraWindow software in order to directly upload images to his laptop computer through the Wi-Fi router, but when I attempted to utilize the application a window popped up that said, "Cannot detect camera. Check connection to camera, then retry." I decided that this was likely due to the camera not communicating with the router, since the internet connection was fine on his laptop, and then I read the manual in order to find a solution for this problem.

I then followed these steps to set up the camera to interface with the router:

I pressed the wi-fi button, then I entered a nickname, chose the (Laptop) icon, selected the wireless router (confirmed by checking the bottom of the router), entered the password for the router (again, confirmed by checking the bottom of the router), then waited for the camera to recognize the router and link with it.

After several attempts, including moving the camera into almost direct contact with the router to eliminate the possibility of interference, I am unable to connect the camera to the wireless router. As before, the internet connection through the router is working fine, so I'm unable to figure out what could be stopping the camera from detecting the router and adding itself to the network. There also is no troubleshooting section in the menu, which is a disappointment, as it might have provided a clue to the solution.

I would appreciate help in determining a solution to this problem, as I can't use the software recommended by Canon to access this camera wirelessly.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon has wireless help videos online for many cameras, at each camera's support page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/

Use the above link to find your support page.  Type your camera model number in the box, followed by a space, and wait for the dropdown menu to appear.  Click on your model number, which takes you to that support page. 

You should see a white box in the middle of the page labeled "Wireless Help."  The same link can also be found by scrolling UP to the top of the page, and clicking on the red "Product Information" box, which opens a menu that has "Wireless Help" as one of the choices.

In a pinch for time?  You can always contact Canon U.S. Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.  Be sure to tell them what computer you're using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for the tip! I'm not used to service areas on affiliated websites being useful for real troubleshooting beyond, "Is your device turned on?", so I was skeptical, but it actually had exactly the problem I'd described and gave me a detailed step-by-step on how to solve the problem. Smiley Very Happy

If the problem is solved, then congratulations.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements