cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Canon quality relate to the price of the Camera? Canon Powershot 520 PCB failed after 15 months

Cheify
Apprentice

I purchased the Powershot 520 and after 15 months it failed to work. I did not purchase an extended Warranty because it was a Canon which I thought meant Quality. A Canon repair centre in Guatemala advised me that the fault was in the main PCB and is going to cost 40%  of the original cost. I am a pensioner and in my younger days Canon were top Quality unless you had an accident with the Camera you would not need Insurance cover except for theft. Whats happened!!

1 REPLY 1

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Cheify wrote:

I purchased the Powershot 520 and after 15 months it failed to work. I did not purchase an extended Warranty because it was a Canon which I thought meant Quality. A Canon repair centre in Guatemala advised me that the fault was in the main PCB and is going to cost 40%  of the original cost. I am a pensioner and in my younger days Canon were top Quality unless you had an accident with the Camera you would not need Insurance cover except for theft. Whats happened!!

The high humidity of sub-tropical/tropical environments is going to be hard on any camera regardless of the brand.

Those with higher end dSLRs go as far as to keep them in an electronics 'Dry Box' which use devices to keep the humidity at controlled levels.

Dry Box

If your home is air conditioned, while that controls the humidity during storage, taking the cooler camera outside into a warm humid environment causes condensation on all parts of the camera, even the internal electronics. Over time this can be as bad a submerging your camera in water. Ways to combat that are keeping your camera in a sealed bag / container until it warms up to match the outside air temperature.

These problems are not something that is unique to Canon, it affects all cameras regardless of brand. 

Announcements