cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX50 HS not connecting to my computer

fimason
Apprentice

Ok, so I'm getting really grumpy here & it appears that quite a few others are having the same issue.  Up until a couple of weeks ago, I could download my photos from my camera onto my computer but now, not only can I not download my photos, my computer won't even recognize my camera!!  I am using exactly the same cord that I have always used, I have even tried new cords but to no avail!  It is extremely frustrating and quite frankly, annoying!  Any suggestions as to why this may be happening?  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Jason
Whiz

Hi, fimason!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the version of Windows or Mac in use.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF 

Thanks!

fimason
Apprentice
I am using windows 8

I’ve never ever connected any camera to my pc. I’ve always used a card reader. Always scared of frying ports.

fimason
Apprentice
I have always connected my camera to my PC to download my photos. I ended up taking the card out of my camera & downloaded the photos onto my laptop using the card slot on that. Frustrating!

@fimason wrote:
I have always connected my camera to my PC to download my photos. I ended up taking the card out of my camera & downloaded the photos onto my laptop using the card slot on that. Frustrating!

Well, maybe just maybe, that which I've guarded against has happened to you now. If this is true then not good. As to being frustrating, it's a matter of weighing-up the potential damage against easy of use.

I have a LEXMAR Card reader, reading both SD and CF Cards ( output from my trusty XF300 camcorder) permanently USB3 to my PC, and another nifty lil card reader for my iPad AIR2 taking output directly from my SD cards content from my SX50HS. Nope, no frustration here.

I have an innate fear/objection to connecting devices that have differing voltages and amp draws to each other. It's a DNA thing!

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Fimason,
Thanks for posting.

When connecting your camera to your computer, we recommend the following:

• If your computer is a desktop unit, we recommend selecting a USB terminal on the back of your computer. These terminals normally have a better signal and more power than USB terminals on the front of your computer.
  • If your computer is a laptop, please ensure that it's running on A.C. power.
  • When connecting your computer, we recommend against the use of a USB hub. We recommend connecting your camera's USB cable directly to your computer.

When your camera is connected, as described above, please turn it on in the playback mode..

With your camera connected, as suggested above, and powered on in the playback mode, if your computer still doesn't recognize your camera, I recommend taking a look in your computer's Device Manager.

To access the Device Manager in Windows 8, press and hold the "Windows/ Start" key on your keyboard, then press the "X" key. You should see a menu appear. Click on "Device Manager".

Once in the Device Manger, please look for the Portable Devices folder. If your camera is in there, please right-click on the driver and uninstall the driver. Once this process is complete, please turn your camera off for a few seconds, then turn it back on (in the playback mode).

• Important: If you receive an error message or your camera is not in the Portable Devices folder, please make a note of the error message and of all devices listed in this folder.

If you're still unable to transfer images after removing and re-installing the driver, please make a note of the contents of the following folders (if they're present):

1. Imaging Devices
  2. Other Devices
  3. Unknown Devices

Finally (and importantly), with the camera connected to your computer and turned on in the playback mode, what do you see on its display?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

same problem. none above worked.
Announcements