cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering G7 X Mark III when used as USB webcam?

adayley
Contributor

Question: Can the GX 7 Mark III be powered by something other than the battery when the USB-C port is connected to the computer as a webcam?

Setup:

• Laptop has the EOS Webcam Utility installed.
  • GX 7 Mark III is connected via its USB-C port to a USB port on the laptop.
  • The Mark III is operating correctly as a webcam.
  • The Mark III cannot be powered using its USB-C port because that port is the video data interface.

Is there a product or way to power the Mark III so the battery does not run out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@adayley wrote:

@John_ wrote:

Might have to chalk this one up to an error on the Canon website?

We shall see how my Mark III reacts when the generic "dummy battery" power adapter gets here in a couple of days.

The Canon website is NOT in error!

I ordered this power adapter from Amazon: Glorich ACK-DC110 Replacement AC Power Adapter Kit for Canon PowerShot 

1.JPG

It arrived today. I took just a few minutes from my busy day quickly check how it works for the PowerShot GX 7 Mark III.

It powers the camera while the battery compartment door is still open!

So, now I only have to worry about mounting the camera in a way that is stable while the battery compartment door is open to allow the cord to enter.

[link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screengrab]

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

@John_ wrote:

The camera will not turn on unless the battery door is closed.

I didn't note this comment before. That is a concern!

Miroslava
Apprentice
Hey just want to ask if this dummy battery from amazon for canon g7x mark iii works while streaming. Iam looking for dummy battery for 3 days and didnt find anything.

@Miroslava wrote:
Hey just want to ask if this dummy battery from amazon for canon g7x mark iii works while streaming. Iam looking for dummy battery for 3 days and didnt find anything.

I'm not sure which dummy battery you are asking about. I am successful using the dummy battery mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Amazon: Glorich ACK-DC110 Replacement AC Power Adapter Kit for Canon PowerShot 

1.JPG

Miroslava
Apprentice
Can you please send the link again please ?

@Miroslava wrote:
Can you please send the link again please ?

This forum does not allow links in postings. Just search Amazon for "Glorich ACK-DC110" to get the item at the top of the list. Should look like this item:

8C1F5291-58A1-4D56-86D6-821F014A78CB.jpeg

Announcements